The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra build AKA Rattlesnake

supra_jms

Hello all and welcome to my build thread of 'RattleSnake' name will be explained later.

The car i Purchased off a trader who is very questionable at best (not on the forum) finding out later i had been stung but not as bad as some of the stories.

The car itself is a 1993 naturally aspirated auto 1A1 Aerotop/Targa supra. I bought the car with the sole purpose of turning it into a TT6 aerotop. i jumped head first into purchasing the car after being told how rare the colour is and how special it looks in the sun. It was brought down to me to view in between work which was good of him tbh. However i was told its the cleanest car he has ever sold. i took his word and to my mistake very quickly looked over the car missing several bits that needed attention.

Here are some pictures of it when i bought it.

The car was competely stock bar audio system and cat back exhaust.

After a little time the battery went dead so i went out and bought a brand new Bosch battery with 4 year warranty so i will not have to worry about that again. I also got straight onto Keron at extreme performance and ordered a new seat belt as the one it had wasn't retracting even after taking it apart for a clean.

I then started to notice the car had a few rust issues appearing on the exterior shell so wanted to get them addressed immediately before they got any worse. I spoke to the bodyshop and we agreed that whilst they dealt with the rust problems the car should have a compete respray as the panels with rust would be stripped back meaning some panels would have brand new fresh paint and others would have 24 year faded paint.

Here are some of the pictures of the car in the shop.

Semi end results:

Car came back looking stunning. sadly a few bits were not 100%and the finish around the rear quarter glass was not very good due to it not being removed. We discussed it and agreed as soon as the car came back they would sort out all the little niggles and have the glass removed and those bits completely re done. So i ordered brand new rear qquarter glass from toyota to have fitted to the car :)

The next day the car was straight off to Lee at SRD to fit a V160 manual conversion that i ordered as soon as i purchased the car. The whole ordeal was a complete ball ache with many problems arising with the kit i ordered from an import company. Thanks to Lee and his team he sorted it all out and installed in the car. I had a low miler (45,000)miles v160 installed with TRD gearbox mount. The kit was also suppose to come with a manual gear surround which it did not but i decided to just buy a brand new one and treat myself :)

Lee kept me up to date at all times sending me pictures along the way. i will be Mentioning SRD many more times in this thread as i will be taking the car back to him for future work.

I left out one final piece which is why my car has its name. My car has a solid flywheel with a HKS LA twin plate clutch installed. Lee warned me it rattles but is perfectly normal. MY god i was in for a suprise, never heard a car with a twin plate before. Chris Parry was also dropping off his beast of a supra when i went to pick it up and gave it the name rattlesnake lol. The name has stuck and i like it.

Future work

The car has been away from me for a long time and i have barely covered any miles in her so i am now planning on enjoying her for summer and then continuing the build come winter.

Parts i have but am yet to fit

A03b diff (deposit on one atm)

Facelift rear fail lights

s2000 aerial

I would like to buy new alloys and tyres along with facelift headlights to finish off the exterior for me. After that its time to get a TT engine fitted.

Thank you for reading my build and i shall update it as i go.

Have you finally decided against selling it now?

Lovely colour. It's nice to see new rear quarters going in and at least the paint issues will be sorted properly now :thumbs:

Yes keeping the car for the time being. Just want to enjoy it for summer now.

What did the rear quarter glass windows cost ya bud ? Do you have the part numbers?

I shall find the invoice for part numbers, they were around £360 for both.

Saw this up when I collected mine a few months back the colour is fantastic buddy :) glad you have kept it

Thank you, me too :)

I thought the rear quarter glasses were no longer available from Toyota, since about 9 months ago. I'd have to say the OE bonnet is a massive improvement.

Well i only ordered them this week lol so i would assume they are still available. I agree, oem bonnet suits the car way better.

Nice car

What made you go for that clutch?

Simply, came with my conversion

They don't have a tint as far as I'm aware, the windscreen has a tint, green for UK, and blue for J-Spec.

They do mate. I phoned MrT and my 1A1 is blue and the facelift black car is green apparently.

Blue is cheaper by £20 for the pair

They do mate. I phoned MrT and my 1A1 is blue and the facelift black car is green apparently.

Blue is cheaper by £20 for the pair

Holy shit! I think you may have come across something here mate! All the Supra glass is slightly tinted from the factory, within legal limits, but I think you may have found that the green and blue thing equates to the window colour tint, and not just the tint across the top of the windscreen! Or perhaps it's just me that never realised this before lol

****UPDATE*****

So i have a little parts corner which are waiting to go on the car come winter as now i just want to enjoy her.

brand new drivers seatbelt, s2000 aerial, brand new facelift headlights which just arrived from toyota :) as well as brand new facelift tail lights with looms.

Today i went to go re fit all my interior panels that i removed so that the rear quarter glass could be removed. So inspected the car after her full respray and was not happy with the door shuts or the finish around the quarter glass. Now though.... masterpiece, glass came out and rear quarters were re done, fitted brand new rear quarter glass from Toyota. just a couple of picutres i grabbed after taking her out for the first drive with the roof off. very happy bunny and the shell looks super fresh now!

Alloys next.

****UPDATE*****

So i have a little parts corner which are waiting to go on the car come winter as now i just want to enjoy her.

brand new drivers seatbelt, s2000 aerial, brand new facelift headlights which just arrived from toyota :) as well as brand new facelift tail lights with looms.

http://i.imgur.com/PWo5GRF.jpg

Today i went to go re fit all my interior panels that i removed so that the rear quarter glass could be removed. So inspected the car after her full respray and was not happy with the door shuts or the finish around the quarter glass. Now though.... masterpiece, glass came out and rear quarters were re done, fitted brand new rear quarter glass from Toyota. just a couple of picutres i grabbed after taking her out for the first drive with the roof off. very happy bunny and the shell looks super fresh now!

Alloys next.

http://i.imgur.com/yPADo79.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LEQduIb.jpg

This was the reason why in your other thread which you closed I said about having the quarter windows taken out, dispute how good the bodyshop is it still never will never be 100%.

Looks stunning mate, glad your now happy with it :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
Jap spec are legally allowed to display a plate with smaller lettering and spacing to fit the jap spec holder. Just get a straight one

Ooo really? How come imports are allowed smaller lettering and plates. Thought every plate has to be the same size and font size.

Completely agree, wish the police were a tad more relaxed so i could chuck the plate in the window lol.

The police are relaxed...I've ran my plate inn my windscreen for a good few years now and never have any hassles, I know a few other members are the same and don't get any issues