The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on buying a Supra Aerotop Please from Rising Sun Imports or someone else !

milocoon

:rolleyes:

I want an aerotop so I have 2 choices an auto NA or auto TT model, has anybody any advice on either model good or bad to help me on a Standard Specification Japanese Import. I gather insurance is 19 or 20, is there a huge difference driving a TT or would an average to enthuisastic owner really notice the difference with a TT ?

Will a TT auto on a run average 23 mpg ?

Will a NA auto on a run average 25 mpg ?

(assuming it is kept under 80 MPH)

Please give me your experiences to date with reliability issues on either model or anything else relevant that may have caused you concerns ?

Has anyone had any good / bad experiences with Jap Imports in general or with a company called Rising Sun Imports who I may be using shortly ?

Thanks Mike

Age 44 recent cars S2000GT, Celica GT

:limp:

I used to have an TT Aerotop m8 - enjoyed it very much as whether you go for the NA or the TT will be down to personal choice of performance and cost

Both will normally have very good Toyota reliability if propely serviced and maintained (normal rules of buying apply!)

Check the hood fit if possible

Cannot comment on the company - as strictly speaking a competitor (I import too!)

IMHO If possible use someone on this board - as they will have a reputation to maintain / there are loads of tips for buying in the FAQ section

If I can help (strictly objectively) - give me a shout!

I know Chris Jovic quite well all i can say is he is as honest as the day is long and a really nice guy to boot he was importing my supra for me and was allways happy to answer my many questions.

Sadly when importing my supe someone in Japan made of with my cash it seems we fell foal of a ring operating out there as soon as Chris came aware of this he gave me 2 options wait wilst he found me anouther one to my spec and no extra cost to me or to have a complete refund i went for option two purley because i found anouther car already in the country not because i did not trust Chris sadly it saw him around 20k out of pocket as it also happended to anouther car he was bringing over at the same time

I hope this is of help

Are you saying they already have a TT Aerotop and a NA Aerotop for sale, or that you're about to give them the nod to go about finding you one?

If it's the latter, be advised that TT Aerotops are the rarest Supra of all so you'll be in for a long wait. I waited for 8 months without success, and in the end bought one that became available in the UK.

NA Aerotops are more plentiful, but still not as common as the hardtops.

:rolleyes:

I want an aerotop so I have 2 choices an auto NA or auto TT model, has anybody any advice on either model good or bad to help me on a Standard Specification Japanese Import. I gather insurance is 19 or 20, is there a huge difference driving a TT or would an average to enthuisastic owner really notice the difference with a TT ?

The NA and TT are very different cars and you will notice the difference. My advice is to test drive a hardtop of both while you are waiting for an aero to appear.

Will a TT auto on a run average 23 mpg ?

Will a NA auto on a run average 25 mpg ?

(assuming it is kept under 80 MPH)

I doubt it. More like 20 for a TT and 23 for an NA. It will reduce a lot is you have the aircon on though. The least I have ever had out of my NA aero is 18mpg. The most was tootling doan a motorway follwoing my dad's Sierra at sub-70 mph. That got me a never to be repeated 28mpg.

Please give me your experiences to date with reliability issues on either model or anything else relevant that may have caused you concerns ?

They are the same basic cars as the hard tops. Apart from one or two very rare leaky roof seals (and I do mean rare) I don't think there are any aero-sepcific issues. You can use the search facility for finding inf on routine durability issues.

Has anyone had any good / bad experiences with Jap Imports in general or with a company called Rising Sun Imports who I may be using shortly ?

Forewarned is forearmed. Do your research first. Hang around here for a bit and don't rush into it.

Good luck!

A TT will feel much faster than an NA, especially considering the NA aerotop has the least BHP/tonne of any mkiv. Having said that, there still aren't many cars on the road that can embarrass an NA. It'll be quicker than your Celica, a little slower than your Honda (but you won't have to rev it's ass of quite so much). As far as insurance goes, there is surprisingly little difference between TT and NA insurance. Ditto fuel mileage, the NA will be slightly less thirsty. The one place you will save money is on purchase price, with a large differential between the two, and on ease of purchase, with NA aerotops much easier to locate. As others have said, both are very, very reliable cars for there age.

HTH

:looney: