The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refresh on the paintwork

bebby

So I bought the car back in 2013 with no history whatsoever. However was informed by the seller paint work wasn't the best. 4 years later and plenty of stone chips. image

Finally decided on biting the bullet and getting the car painted. Now a few friends of mine have been and had their cars done here and recommended me to them, so I took the car there on Saturday after a quick chat on what I wanted happening. image

So I dropped the car off thinking just a straight forward rub down and a few coats of paint, how wrong was I to be naive that the paintjob before was done well. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

So after stripping and beginning to sand down. The body shop soon realised the quality of the paint used was abysmal and just clogged up the sanding pads. So a complete rub back and start over is needed. Will keep updated once more comes up

Edited by bebby (see edit history)

Had someone round to the shop today to remove the glass and thankfully managed to remove the front and rear windows without breaking them, as he pre warned me it would be £450 for a new window fitted (is this a good price?) so now the final strip down of the paint begins. PS IF ANYONE HAS SOME GOOD CONDITION REAR QUARTER GLASS LET ME KNOW, MY SEALS ARE CHEWED imageimageimageimage

Bet they love you, that looks like an unforgiving job. Are you going back to the stock colour?

Thankfully they're not upset with me. See I've always thought about setting it back to the stock (Baltic blue metallic I believe without looking at the vin) as it's not a common colour but I do love the pop of the Lamborghini orange (arancio borealis) plus its cost me a pretty penny so far

Thankfully they're not upset with me. See I've always thought about setting it back to the stock (Baltic blue metallic I believe without looking at the vin) as it's not a common colour but I do love the pop of the Lamborghini orange (arancio borealis) plus its cost me a pretty penny so far

/QUOTE]

Baltic Blue is a stunning colour. You're right, definitely not common :)

£450 sounds expensive to me, i recently got quoted £250 to supply a heated screen to go in my RRC from Pilkington Glass

See I thought that, hence the reason I'm having him put the old glass in because I'm sure I can get it cheaper. If it's not broke don't fix it

Car has been primered and flatted now so it is finally starting to resemble a clean supra for a change instead of multi colour patches imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

It's about to get its final prep work ready for the paint to get layered

You'll probably find, that the last paint job was done with cheap coach paint (like enamel), rather than 2k. That would explain why it can't be sanded back, and why they've had to put a coat of isolator on (barcoat)

With 2k, you put the clear on as soon as the base coat is touch dry, which only takes about 15 minutes to flash.

Really wouldn't surprise me gaz. Cheap paint and very cheap paint job. More than likely a backyard job to be fair. It didn't look too bad after a good clean and polish but It will look a million times better now. I'm glad because I really fell out of love with the car because of the paint

Yep looks like with the old job it was flatted back, masked up and used the dull clear as a base for the orange to stick to, a very half ar*sed job that. Good to see the bodyshop going hard at the paint job, so far so good! hows the jambs coming along?

Yep looks like with the old job it was flatted back, masked up and used the dull clear as a base for the orange to stick to, a very half ar*sed job that. Good to see the bodyshop going hard at the paint job, so far so good! hows the jambs coming along?

Yeah certainly a bad job. Because the door jams and what not are already an okay orange I decided to just go for the outside to try and keep costs down, as I've not got loads of money to throw at it

So layers of paint are finally getting applied he's informed me he's doing 5 layers of orange undercoat, 2 layers of orange pearl top coat, an orange pearl drop coat then 3 layers of lacquer so it's definitely going to shine imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Now the orange pearl coat is getting applied and I've got to say the colour is amazing imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Still a couple more layers to go and a good flat and polish, plus all the other little bits like

Spoiler and side skirts but excited is an understatement

Looking lovely mate, will be great to see the colour in the sun!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for the job?

I'm thinking if having mine resprayed this year, and want to get a couple of ball parks, that I can compare to.

I'd love to paint mine myself, but alas I don't have the premises or equipment for such a big job

Because it's a "shut door paint job" and not a full interior strip to get all inside painted its £2230 but in that is obviously all the window removal and I know for a fact the paint isn't cheap because it's a Lamborghini orange (arancio borrealis) so it's a 3 stage pearl. If the paint work wasn't so buggered he originally quoted me between £1500-£2000 with a couple of door ding removals

She's out the spray booth with all the layers applied now. The colour in the sun is unreal.

Now it's ready to start bolting the parts back on and give it all a good flat and polish before all the windows go back in

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Even added the orange pearl coat over the ridox carbon fibre skirts which I think looks amazing.

Paint shop has assured me it will be ready for picking up tomorrow afternoon and I truly cannot wait