The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Swapped Headlights Over - Now Side Light not working

marbleapple

Afternoon All

I have purchased some second hard facelight headlights to replace my pre facelight ones. I have swapped them over this pm.

Before swapping the lights over, I did have jap spec / pre facelight looms but had cut and tweaked these with facelift looms (as per forum guides) because I had previously fitted facelift indicators. The side light worked on the pre factlift lights.

Post the swap over of the headlights, whilst the headlight and full beam both come on, the side light does not.

Can someone give me some advice as to what I have done wrong / need to address?

I suspect my problem is related to the fact that I have 4 bulb sockets on the loom still but only 3 light fittings on the facelift headlight? - On the pre facelift headlight there is a long grey light fitting that slides into a 4th fitting/socket on the pre facelift headlight. This fitting/socket doesn't exist in the facelift version. I think this might have acted as the side light now I think about it. I simply taped up the 4th grey socket and have assumed (clearly wrongly) that the third fitting/socket would work as the side light. The 4th grey fitting looks to get its power from the third socket.

Is the problem I have cause by the fact that I have retrofitted facelight indicators to work with pre factlift lights? Do I need to buy new Facelift looms and get rid of the pre factlift set up totally and make one of the indicator bulbs into a side light?

Apologies if this thread is a tad confusing!

When i fitted my facelift lights and facelift side lights i also used facelift sidelight looms. I still had to modify them though to work in cooperation with the pre facelift engine loom

Cheers for the response

I had to do the same when I installed facelift indicators.

I suspect someone is going to tell me that I have to get a new facelift loom because how I've cut the loom to work with facelift indicators and pre facelift headlights isn't going to suit facelift headlights and indicators.

Hmm i fitted facelift indicators and looms when i first bought my car using the guide on here

Then a year later fit facelift headlight and had no issues at all so i dont think it would be your issue

Although the way i done my indicators originally i removed the big grey pre facelift sidelight bulb holder and used the wires into the facelift sidelight looms if i remember correctly

Hmm i fitted facelift indicators and looms when i first bought my car using the guide on here

Then a year later fit facelift headlight and had no issues at all so i dont think it would be your issue

Although the way i done my indicators originally i removed the big grey pre facelift sidelight bulb holder and used the wires into the facelift sidelight looms if i remember correctly

I think you're on to something

When you turn on your side lights now does your side light come on at the indicator? Both my indicator bulbs are orange and work as indicators rather than as a side light.

I might have to connect / change one of the indicator bulb holders into the side light (I.e. Connect it up to the wires current connected to the grey thing?