The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarms! Talk to me what do you have?

berg

Putting this in here as the ice section barely gets any visits

What alarms do you guys have, I need recommendations

Been looking at Clifford, viper etc

I just want a top notch system with proximity sensors but I'm not interested in remote start or anything like that

There's so many options so be good to hear what you guys have and recommend

I wouldn't fit anything other than Clifford, I have been using them since 1996 and have never needed to look at anything else. Their alarms are circuit protected, this means that should someone smash your rear light and the parking light bulb inside they still won't be able to get into your car. Since many alarms also flash the parking lights when triggered, the short circuiting of the parking light bulb would lead to the short circuiting of the alarm as well, making it short work for the thief!

They also include a feature called passive arming. This is the system's ability to arm itself automatically. When placed in this mode, the security system will arm itself in 30 seconds after the you leave the car. Even if you forget to arm the system, passive arming will protect the vehicle. This feature can be used in conjunction with power door locks and windows to fully secure the car.

Alarm wise, Concept 650 MKII.

You want a good shock/impact sensor. Besides sounding the alarm, if someone opens a door or your boot you want the system to be able to detect a sharp impact, which is the job of the shock sensor. You'll want a dual stage shock sensor which discriminates between a light impact (which provokes high pitch chirps) and a heavy impact (which triggers the full wrath of the siren).

As mentioned above the window closure is a nice touch. An audio sensor to detect breaking glass, radar sensor, tilt/motion sensor to detect jacking if someone want to try and lift your car on to a transporter or tow the car away.

HTH :)

Great post, very helpful, thanks

That alarm is the one ive seen in conversation on other forums while searching and definately seems like the one for me :)

I will have a look around and find someone who can supply and fit, ideally ill need mobile fitter due to work etc

From memory, the Clifford sirens have a back up battery, that will trigger the siren in the event that the wiring is cut.

I've this battery dies, you have to replace the siren, at a cost of circa £100 last time I checked

I must get my alarm looked at, the siren has never worked since I bought the car. I think mine is a Clifford G5.

Are there any experts on here?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

/QUOTE]

Have you checked that it hasn't been unplugged? Seriously, my dads siren was just unplugged.

I have a clifford too, very good alarm and i'd definitely recommend one :thumbs:

However, didn't they go bust a good while ago so support for the alarms is now slim to none?