The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel Tank Guard Shield

Fulcrum2000

Yes its starting to really go. I was hoping there'd be a way around it, can I run without one? Perhaps a bracket or similar can be attached. I'll go buy a new one if I have to though.

Mine was the same on one end, not salvageable. I just bought a new one, and had it painted on the outside, and protected on the inside, good for another 20-30 years now :)

I'm just bringing one in through Toyota and its a few weeks from order to delivery. Also ordered new straps, they are on 6 weeks delivery. Figured I didn't want to get tank guard off and then find the support straps needed doing. My old guard has corrosion on the front but I won't know how bad it is till it comes off. There is no perforation but may be when I tackle the rust, if that's recoverable I'll be selling it on. I also know of two owners who have one or more spare guards so you may get an offer of a decent recycled one for about half the price of a new one if they happen by this thread.

Yes its starting to really go. I was hoping there'd be a way around it, can I run without one? Perhaps a bracket or similar can be attached. I'll go buy a new one if I have to though.

You 'can' run without one but I don't know how sensible that is, it's a flimsy thing once off but I presume it provides some good impact/scuff protection.

This is the 'joy' of Supra ownership/mild restoration and for me highlights the potential value in a fresh import/newer example. The tank cover rusting can be an indicator to other issues, fuel and brake hard lines over the subframe are likely not to be in the best condition (well worth checking these if you haven't already), the rear exhaust hanger mount similarly. New from Toyota with fixings etc and it's starting to get quite expensive for mundane bits.

In fairly short order you can be looking at Burna levels of restoring, ok/rewarding on a car that you've had 'x' years and it's a keeper, possibly not the same feeling if you've just got it and the budget is tight!

Saying this you can enjoy the journey and get stuck in and just work your way through bit by bit, without old impact damage/repairs the shells are very very solid so a slow and steady refresh on these long term consumable items doesn't need to be that costly or can certainly be spread out over a long time. Also the parts that have 'gone' have done so over 20 years so at least once replaced/refreshed they are good for the long run.

I completely agree, this is my third Supra and I knew what bed I was getting in when I bought my latest. My first, a Mk III suffered a catastrophic and spectacular engine failure and my second I had to sell when I started my own business or I would still own it to be honest. I'm having the entire underbody profesionally 'de-rusted' and whilst I can see all of it will be manageable, this guard is just too far gone. I will see what the engineer says and bite the bullet and get one if I have to.

I think this is what ironically is going to make the Supra skyrocket in the next few years along with fresh market potential, the Supra is becoming more and more expensive to maintain and improve which is going to push the prices ever skywards as stocks dwindle because regardless of age, this car is super-car stunning even up to 2017. I've already had all brake lines (and all 4 pads, discs, brake fluid) replaced from the same area, you were bang Scooter on they were foo-kay'd. My car had been stored for so long when I got it 2 of the tyres cracked the morning after it was delivered! I'm going to see it as a multi-year project to make it exactly how I want it and as mint as I can get it.

That's a good attitude to have and sounds like you are methodically working through any issues :salute:

I would try and pick up Riders or someone else's used one, if in tact they are salvageable and once repainted it'll be perfectly fine. Some used parts seem to be increasing too of late though so there comes a point where (especially on a keeper) new bits make more sense.