The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Robs Project Thread

RobMason

Hi Guys! Excited to be here (finally!)

I have wanted to own a Supra since I passed my test a good 10 years ago and a few weeks ago my dream finally came true. I have seen a couple of threads on here about people not wanting to travel for cars, well it didnt bother me as I live in West Yorkshire and the car was within spitting distance of Brighton so that was a fair trek! Thanks to the wife for driving us down.

What a car! At this point I should probably say it is the tried and tested J spec TT6 up to BPU spec. I love how you really feel the kick when the second turbo kicks in, you really need to be awake when driving one of these fast - although my 400bhp built MR2 was a bit lively too.

Anyway, enough rambling! Phase one of this project is to sort out the exterior, the previous owner really looked after it but you can tell the paint is original. I have machine polished it but either a wrap or respray may be on the cards. Here are some pics of how it looks today

Right, it wouldn't be a true forum post if I didn't end on a couple of questions;

1) The front bumper is a bit tired, my local bodyshop didn't seem willing to remove the matt film the previous owner had put on, repair the cracks and repaint it. I think they were worried it would fall apart. Thoughts about what I should do? Find another Bomex or something else? Not sure what would go with the skirts.

2) Does anyone elses exhaust scrape? From what the previous owner tells me it seems to be a custom one from Japan, there are no obvious markings. Not sure whether it hangs lower than others but it does tend to scrape on bumps and I wouldn't say the car is that low.

3) Thoughts on the wing? Some days I love it, some I think it is OTT. Debating whether to go TRD style.

Thanks for looking!

Rob

Edited by RobMason
Link Update (see edit history)

Nice car, welcome to supra ownership.

The machine polish looks like it has brought the paintwork up a treat, does that sticker say jizz machine? haha

If it was me I'd replace the front bumper with an OEM one and go with the TRD wing, I think the car would look perfect then with the oem skirts/spats. I'm not against the big wing, I just think they need to be matched with an aggressive bodykit

The matt lip on the bumper will more than likely be a diy repair with rattle cans. Those bumpers get alot of chipping at the bottom.

Wing. Ditch it. Looks cheap on a supra. Oem is much nicer for the lines.

Looks clean though!!

Those skirts are oem jspec skirts so an oem front bumper with an RRM lip would look great. That or a ridox bumper.

Are the skirts and spats plastic or fibreglass? If they are plastic it means they are genuine oem Toyota parts and worth afew quid now!

With regards to the wing, i quite like the blade, but the legs look abit nasty. I think with any bgw on a supra the legs should be mounted in the original spoiler mounting positions or as close to the edges of the boot as possible. When they are bolted close together in the centre they remind me of sparrows legs lol

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback!

does that sticker say jizz machine?

Haha, yes it does. I am a fan of a chap on YouTube called Baron Von Grumble, it is one of his stickers.

The matt lip on the bumper will more than likely be a diy repair with rattle cans

It is actaully a film, the previous owner attempted a fibreglass repair and then used a film to try and protect it further. Sorry to say it didn't work.

does it really need a respray

The pictures hide some of the marks, to be honest it probably doesn't but I find it hard to look past rough paint. There are a couple of runs where it looks like previous touch ups have been attempted

Are the skirts and spats plastic or fibreglass?

They look and feel like plastic to me, good news if I decide to sell then.

I find myself leaning towards the TRD wing, will start the hunt for one or maybe just buy a replica one from Whifbitz. At least the previous owner kept the original mounting holes so I just need to repair the ones from this one.

RE an OEM front bumper, would it clear the FMIC? I do also like the look of the Ridox, decisions, decisions!

Thanks again guys!

Rob

Haha, yes it does. I am a fan of a chap on YouTube called Baron Von Grumble, it is one of his stickers.

RE an OEM front bumper, would it clear the FMIC? I do also like the look of the Ridox, decisions, decisions!

Rob

Ah yes I remember watching a few of BVG's videos a few years ago, didnt know he was still on the go.

An OEM front bumper clears a FMIC, I dont run one myself but plenty on here do

• 2 months later...

So I tried to live with the BGW, some days I loved it and some days I hated it but in the end I decided an OEM wing would look better. Picked one up from a guy on here that needed a bit of love and got to work.

It didn't look too bad in photos but there was a nasty crack running up the leading edge,

Sanding commenced

Once the worst bits had been sanded back and the whole wing had been roughed up it was time for primer, note to self, never buy cheap halfords primer again.

Annoyingly despite using plastic filler some marks from the repairs were still visable

Decided to pick up a couple of cans of U-POL filler primer, obviously more expensive but much better stuff. After a few more coats all the marks had dissapeared. Another sand and time for paint!

This is where painting in a garage with not exactly ideal temperatures sucks, plenty of orange peel on the paint but some more sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit paper followed by a machine polish has improved things.

Hopefully will be back on the car tomorrow with fresh gaskets and bolts, part of me actually likes the spoilerless look though.

As a temporary fix I have plugged the holes left by the BGW with some rubber grommets to keep the rain out. I will get the bodyshop to fill the holes and respray my bootlid and new OEM front bumper at the same time.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just thought I would stick a quick update on this, finally pulled my finger out and finished the OEM rear spoiler installation. The bodyshop did a cracking job repainting the rear boot lid and spoiler so everything matches. I personally think it looks a million times better.

Next will be an OEM front bumper with a Whifbitz type 2 lip and an upgrade to facelift indicator clusters. For the next bodyshop visit I am going to remove my skirts (hopefully in one piece) to check everything is ok underneath, fix any issues and get the bonnet repainted to fix the stone chips. Exciting times!

The eagle eyed amongst you might spot I have added something green to the interior.

Thanks for looking,

Rob