The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Pressure on start up

_Shane_

What is deemed good oil pressure for the 2JZ upon start up ?

When i turn on the car my oil pressure gauge is reading 8-9 Bar of oil pressure.....

I dont know what is good / bad etc so i said i would ask the good people of this forum :)

Is this a bog standard engine, or has the bottom end been modified? What engine oil are you using? Are you using any oil coolers etc?

Cold start will always produce high pressure readings. 8-9 bar does seem quite high for a standard engine?

For a standard engine, once the oil is at operating temperature, hold the revs at 4000 rpm and your oil pressure should be around 47-84 psi (roughly 3-6 bar)[According to repair manual]. If you are going a lot higher than that on WOT (9 bar) etc, then it could be an indication of poor flow through your lubrication system. High oil pressure isn't necessarily always a good thing.

As a comparison, both my 2JZGE and 1JZGTE cold start pressure was around 5-6 Bar, Warm idle around 2 Bar and WOT around 5-6 BAR. I know that the 2JZGTE oil pump spring is tougher than both the 2JZGE and 1JZGTE, so oil pressure should be a little higher, but 3 BAR higher seem a little on the high end for me.

As mike2jz mentioned hign oil pressure is not always a good thing, as the flow rate on high pressure is lower than a lower pressure would have..

i have a close to stock engine, and cold on start up is around 5.5 to 5.6 bar , and on warn engine on idle 1.1 to 1.4 depends on oil temperatur.. wot is around 4.8 to 5.2 bar..