The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ATF fluid doesn't look right

Dave

Having probs with the overdrive not engaging ,david p has been brilliant at giving me advice ,so checked the ATF tonight and it's up to the right mark but it looks like this ,top is new fluid bottom is what's in my box ,guess I'm going to drop the pan and see what's inside ,then a full flush .

Any comments welcome .

IMG_1373.jpg

Carlube ATF U is what we used in mine

Thanks Evin will look that up --------which one theres a few

- - - Updated - - -

Give it the sniff test, if it smells burnt then it is;)

No don't smell burnt just a light brown colour cars only done 68k

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

Thanks Evin will look that up --------which one theres a few

- - - Updated - - -

No don't smell burnt just a light brown colour cars only done 68k

Carlube...atf... U. There atf q and what not. But go for U.

Davids the man for a full flush. Thats his thing

You simply cant do a full flush unless you take the box out as the torque converter holds a few litres in it, you have to drain the pain the fill with fresh then drain again a few months later .

Wrong. Very wrong advice to give. David flushed mine by draining it at the cooler. Fill the sump up. Bearing in mind the 2l in the sump must be drained. Fire it up. Drain at cooler line...all old fluid is flushed out off the torque converter. Youll need a new strainer too or the new fluid will get contaminated.

i'd also appreciate a guide how to do a full flush, theres bits and pieces around but afaik no step by step with pics

Linky. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=57

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong. Very wrong advice to give. David flushed mine by draining it at the cooler. Fill the sump up. Bearing in mind the 2l in the sump must be drained. Fire it up. Drain at cooler line...all old fluid is flushed out off the torque converter. Youll need a new strainer too or the new fluid will get contaminated.

Agreed

Thanks for the link, i've seen this before but i don't really understand it.

The Easiest Way To Do a Full Flush

Drain sump, refit plug, pour 6.5 litres N/A (total volume 7L) or 7.5 litres T.T. (total volume 8L) of new fluid in via dipstick tube, remove a hose from the ATF cooler circuit, hold over bucket, have an assistant start the engine, run until clean new fluid shows, turn off engine, reconnect hose, give dipstick tube time to drain, restart engine and top up transmission to dipstick mark.

How are you meant to put in 6.5litres of fluid into a sump what only holds 2-3litres...

You cant win them all :giveup:

How are you meant to put in 6.5litres of fluid into a sump what only holds 2-3litres...

Put around 5-6l in...it will go...flush till clean fluid comes out. Check the level with the engine running and the box in N. And top up

All will be fine. Wont damage the box as its not being driven when doing this.

- - - Updated - - -

You cant win them all :giveup:

:D

But then arent you massively overfilling it, which is bad enough on it's own even if you are only running it for a few minutes.

No. Becasue as soon as you fire the car, fluid starts to flow...so what immediatley leaves is replaced with overfill.

Cars arnt that complex when it comes to servicing them. I see where your coming from. But when you figure it all out youll see.

sounds weird but this is how its done ,so the gear box never runs low on atf whilst running [not good]once the atf runs out of the pipe clear then your done switch off engine a reconnect pipe 10 min job.check level after 10 mins