The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interior Tidy-Up - Boost controller, stereo replacement

Harps

Hi all,

Now my car is back up and running, I'm desperate to tinker, particularly tidying up the interior.

I've got a HKS EVC 6 boost controller that I put in a "temporary" position (8 years ago) above the single DIN stereo. The stereo is currently in the lower section of the double-din area.

My plan is to change the stereo to a double din unit and move the boost controller elsewhere, but I'm not sure where? Has anyone come up with novel ideas of where to put theirs? I've got a defi boost gauge so I don't have to see the controller all of the time. I did think about hiding it in the arm rest, although the controller for the gauges is already in there.

I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer SPH-DA120, mainly for the apple carplay. Has anyone fitted one of these into the double din? If so, is it a straight fit? Is there anything else that needs to be done for it to work? I've not fitted a stereo in years, and I'm hoping it'll be plug and play. While I'm at it, I'm going to replace the speakers. I've ordered a set of the speaker conversion for the fronts. Are the rears a standard fit?

Are there any suggestions for reversing camera's? It'd be amazing to have one that utilises the stereo. Its a very tight squeeze into my garage, anything that makes it easy would be huge.

And finally, I'll be replacing the stock dials. I bought a set of Speedhut custom dials years ago and I've never got around to replacing them so its time to give it a go. Any advice or suggestions welcome. it looks really easy on the instructions they sent, which is a worry!

Any camera will work. As long as it has a "phono/composite" connection which they all do.

The double din stereo will have a wire for "reversing camera" which you connect to your reverse lights, once it detects voltage, or ground (as you've put into reverse) it will automatically show the camera on the screen.

I have a Pioneer double din and it has an input in the back for reversing camera. I think i read somewhere that some guys have mounted a small reversing camera in the rear light where the barrel for the boot unlock normally sits if that helps any?

I have the same boost controller and have a single din unit

I have placed the controller in the ash tray but where I have put the screen you can have that anywhere really. I brought the carbon panel from ebay and modified it to slot in there

ignore the paint reaction in this pic (which got sorted )lol

Cheers for the replies!

My boost controller looks similar to the one pictured, but it is a single unit. I think hiding it in the glove box is probably going to be the most sensible option.

I've now seen that there is a huge amount of options for the camera if I do get one. The boot barrel is a good idea, I might have a think about that.

• 2 weeks later...