The mkiv Supra Owners Club

An Intro and a Question (Evo VS Supra)

Connor

Heya peeps,

Hope you're all keeping well?

I'm at a little bit of an impasse and hope you'll might help me make my mind up...

I have owned my Evo 8 RS for going on a year and a half now which (no joke) has been the most reliable car I've ever owned!! But I can't shake want I have for a lovely MKiV Supra. I've been looking at more and more recently, I would want a late model manual TT6, with view of going down the big-power single route (even better if I can find one with the upgrades ready to go). To make big power out of an Evo is an incredibly costly affair and for the extra required expenditure I could buy a well sorted Supra.

The Evo is currently running 380hp which is nothing compared to what I would have the Supra running but still feels like such an event every time I get in the car and even more so when I put my foot down. It feels so capable and planted at all speeds and is very confidence inspiring. I anticipate a high-HP Supra to be a lot more lairy and obviously you have much less of a chance to actually use the power at your disposal. That being said I bet it still feels like an event and if anything brings considerably more drama and fear, which I love!

I'll pre-face this by saying I've never driven any Supra (or ever been in a high-HP single) so I'm looking to advice from people who have owned, or currently do own, both vehicles and can lend me some advice from their experience as to how they might compare.

I'm based in Essex/Suffolk so if there's anyone willing to take me out in theirs I'll happily provide a box of beers or a return ride in the Evo (incase anyone is considering going the other way!).

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by Connor (see edit history)

I have just Sold my Big single Supra and took an Evo 9 Wagon in exchange, The Evo is of course more modern feeling to drive but the interior is very disappointing, however the Supras interior is looking dated now compared to modern cars. The Evo is far more planted but the Supra if driven well is a fairly predictable car, inexperience or over excitement causes most incidents (or diesel)

A big single Supra is a blast to drive and is still a force to be reckoned with, even by modern standards, it is however expensive to run, maintain and insure and with the prices going through the roof they are no longer a cheap base for power

Also worth thinking about the cost and availability of OEM parts as the time goes by, they will become harder to maintain in the future

I am sure if you were to get a ride in a single you would forget about all the above and want one, but take it from someone who has had a few, they can be a BIG money pit if you get carried away with them

I have just Sold my Big single Supra and took an Evo 9 Wagon in exchange, The Evo is of course more modern feeling to drive but the interior is very disappointing, however the Supras interior is looking dated now compared to modern cars. The Evo is far more planted but the Supra if driven well is a fairly predictable car, inexperience or over excitement causes most incidents (or diesel)

A big single Supra is a blast to drive and is still a force to be reckoned with, even by modern standards, it is however expensive to run, maintain and insure and with the prices going through the roof they are no longer a cheap base for power

Also worth thinking about the cost and availability of OEM parts as the time goes by, they will become harder to maintain in the future

I am sure if you were to get a ride in a single you would forget about all the above and want one, but take it from someone who has had a few, they can be a BIG money pit if you get carried away with them

Hi mate,

It's easy to get carried away cost-wise on anything these days! Older Japanese cars in particular. The interior doesn't worry me at all as it would only be used during summer at weekends for shows and such.

Working at a Toyota dealer will help me with getting and paying for parts so that's less of a worry to me in all honesty.

Can I ask what made you make the decision to go from a Supra to an Evo?

Hi mate,

It's easy to get carried away cost-wise on anything these days! Older Japanese cars in particular. The interior doesn't worry me at all as it would only be used during summer at weekends for shows and such.

Working at a Toyota dealer will help me with getting and paying for parts so that's less of a worry to me in all honesty.

Can I ask what made you make the decision to go from a Supra to an Evo?

I took it as a PX, had no desire for one to be honest, not sure I will keep it yet, early days but the practicality is good

I took it as a PX, had no desire for one to be honest, not sure I will keep it yet, early days but the practicality is good

Fair enough! Few things on the road are more satisfying to drive than a well sorted evo :)

cant say I've driven a evo.

I came from a fwd audi a3 to my supra. so I dont know if 600hp is big power to you. I'm only running mine at 1.1bar (500hp), havent dared to go to the 600hp map yet and every time I get into the car I am nervous, always having butterfly's, but I absolutely love it. its so aggressive when the power kicks in and the noise for me is intoxicating and it eggs you on to put your foot down when your in the given space to and surroundings to do so.

Its a bug and hard to describe, I fear if you get the opportunity to have a ride in one your have the bug and convincing yourself a supra over the EVO will be a no brainier.

I've had my poo in pants moments where inexperience has been my enemy but the supra told me off by breaking traction, going side ways. I let of the gas and she gets back on track with some counter steer.