The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bearings and Wide Wheels

jot_ie

Having recently gotten my car back on the road (last October), after it was stolen and damaged, it went for it's annual NCT (same as MOT) yesterday.

They failed it on the grounds that both rear wheel bearings were worn.

Is this even possible, as all the rear suspension components were changed while I was rebuilding it.

Brand new hubs, axle carriers, bearings, control arms, handbrake shoes and springs/clips, literally everything in the rear wheel arches, both sides, even the handbrake cables and abs sensors.

All brand new bolts and washers as well, and all straight from a Toyota main dealer.

I also bought new wheels and tyres.

11.5's in the rear and 9.5's in front

I did realise that these would be harder on the bearings than a standard wheel, but jeez 7 months, and it's not like I was putting up huge mileage or doing track days. There's only 5500-6000km on them

The ones that were on it would have been about 13-14 years old prior to it being stolen and were still perfect, and running wider than standard wheels, but as I was buying all new suspension I figured I might as well get new bearings to go with it

I know there are quite a few running wider than standard wheels.

Has anyone else found this kind of problem with bearings?

Its the NCT! Depends who you get!

I changed the rear Wheel bearing on mine , NCT said it was gone , did about 100KM on it , in again for the annual NCT , they said it was gone , I checked it and an independent mechanic , no play ; went back passed it, this year again they mentioned it to me but didnt fail it , I checked it and no play once again

Think its the offside on mine they always have an issue with (New bearing)

Thats not normal. I would take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion. Have you checked yourself?

I brought it to my local garage. The guy there is very good and has been very helpful throughout my rebuild. He pressed the new bearings and hubs into the axel carriers. I saw him do it and he was very careful

He said there is a noise coming from the rear right. I then checked it myself. Took off the brake disc just in case that was rubbing off the dust sheild.

Noise still there though. So sounds like the bearing is gone. He also said there is a tiny bit of play on the passenger side

I've had all sorts of size wheels on all sorts of cars over the last 10 years+ and never had a wheel bearing go

/QUOTE]

I would have thought that would be the case, especially as all the components were brand new

Who fitted the wheel bearings. Have 11.5 wide on my rears with no issues to the new bearings!

Local garage.

That's good to hear, as I was concerned that it was the wider wheels.

Its the NCT! Depends who you get!

I changed the rear Wheel bearing on mine , NCT said it was gone , did about 100KM on it , in again for the annual NCT , they said it was gone , I checked it and an independent mechanic , no play ; went back passed it, this year again they mentioned it to me but didnt fail it , I checked it and no play once again

Think its the offside on mine they always have an issue with (New bearing)

Ohh I have had my fair share of woes with the NCT.

In order to get the car back on the road it had to have passed it's NCT.

First time round they failed it as the said the rear wheels were rubbing off the springs.

Brought it straight to Toyota, they put it on a ramp and checked it. Nothing wrong

Brought it to a different NCT centre, passed no problems.

It has never passed first time, always something .. just bring it somewhere else and it passes.

But on this occasion it looks like they are right.

I just cant figure out whey they are both gone/going.

Pressing in a bearing is straightforward and pretty much foolproof with the right tools.

All the c-clips and dust shields were new as well, even the driveshaft on the rear passenger side was new.

Faulty bearings ...... old stock ...... ?????

Is the nut on the end of driveshaft (wheel end centre hub nut) torqued up correctly? From memory I think it's something like 350nm of torque!

That's a question I have for the garage that installed the bearings, as there are really only 2 factors I'm thinking.

Quality of the bearing and the installation. Has to be one or the other.

I think its 289nm according to the repair manual.

I suppose I just needed to know if others with wider wheels encountered such failures.

That's a question I have for the garage that installed the bearings, as there are really only 2 factors I'm thinking.

Quality of the bearing and the installation. Has to be one or the other.

I think its 289nm according to the repair manual.

I suppose I just needed to know if others with wider wheels encountered such failures.

Yep that's the one! Wider wheels won't do that to the bearings that quickly, even if they are crazy mad offsets! Nothing hard about installing wheel bearings a trained chimp could do it. I used automotive wheel bearing kit on my rears with no issues!

I would head up to Coin in SSI , Talking to Colin about mine , he said sometimes they need to be nipped up when they bed in

This crowd do bearings , hell of alot cheaper than Toyota, think they are around the corner from Colin

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?323122-Wheel-Bearing-Kits&highlight=bearings

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I would head up to Coin in SSI , Talking to Colin about mine , he said sometimes they need to be nipped up when they bed in

This crowd do bearings , hell of alot cheaper than Toyota, think they are around the corner from Colin

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?323122-Wheel-Bearing-Kits&highlight=bearings

Many thanks for that. If this happens again I will do exactly that.

I spoke with Toyota yesterday and they are giving me 2 new rear bearings. They will be in on Thursday.

In fairness I can't praise them enough. They are more than helpful, and with very sizeable discounts.

Hopefully I can get them fitted on Friday. See what happens.

Bearings would only wear if excessive offset used with spacers (unless worn out of course, or improperly fitted / poor parts etc etc). With Supras you can't typically do that anyway unless you go wide arch (crap ability to use aggressive offset wheels I had to wide arch my 13J) and then there isn't really any quantified data to show the reduced mileage caused from this fact.

Increased stress would occur with a wide wheel on a strenuous offset but a general mechanic would be unlikely to pick this up as a cause of fault unless they are quite anal with measurements and knew Supras like Chris Wilson.

Bearings would only wear if excessive offset used with spacers (unless worn out of course, or improperly fitted / poor parts etc etc). With Supras you can't typically do that anyway unless you go wide arch (crap ability to use aggressive offset wheels I had to wide arch my 13J) and then there isn't really any quantified data to show the reduced mileage caused from this fact.

Increased stress would occur with a wide wheel on a strenuous offset but a general mechanic would be unlikely to pick this up as a cause of fault unless they are quite anal with measurements and knew Supras like Chris Wilson.

The offsets on my rear wheels is 49, so 1mm off stock and I don't run spacers.

Garages would be very quick to use the "aftermarket wide wheels excuse" to cover shoddy workmanship though.

I'm thinking they didn't tighten the nut on the driveshaft properly.

It's the only thing I can think of as all the components were brand new, hubs, bearings, axle carriers, clips, dust shields, clips, nuts, bolts etc etc.

Right

Worst bearing (noisy one) changed.

No wear to either of the inner or outer rings, on any of the surfaces. However when I rotate the bearing I can hear a noise.

Garage is of the opinion that one or more of the ball bearings inside is damaged, and said that the grease is black and burned on one side.

There was no "play" while the bearing was on the car, so no movement meaning the bearing was fitted correctly. Hub and axle carrier unmarked, all seals intact and in place.

Faulty bearing????????

Something not right if the grease is burnt which can only be by the bearing getting too hot due to too much friction perhaps

Perhaps a weak or badly formed ball bearing. All it takes is one small flaw to set of a chain reaction.

Yeah, friction from the bad ball bearing burned the grease it would appear.