The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damaged crank??

Suprakeith

Just after bit of advice please, I think I know answer anyway but just want it confirmed before order new crank.

I removed crank while ago and it dipped in rust protection and wrapped it up, but today doing some work in garage I slipped while using angle grinder and caught the splines on crank. I 99% sure it's now scrap but just want it confirmed please.

Have attached few pictures of damage

The ONLY way you will get the pump drive off is to turn it off nearly all the way through on a big lathe. You will have to put the crank in a freezer overnight or for 24 hours and the new drive needs heating to about 400C before slipping them together. If the drive shrinks before it's fully seated you're in the whatsit... I'd be interested if these drives are still available and what the material and machining quality is like, please post here if you go that route.

Thanks for all the information guys, I took engine block to machine shop and asked about crank and they have the faculties to remove all oil pump gear and fit new one.

So I have ordered new briancrower oil pump gear thanks to Paul Whifbitz for putting link up.

When the oil pump gear turns up will take crank to machine shop and at same time of replacing oil pump gear they will check crank balance and Journal sizes and give it a polish or regrind if needed

Err, that's a bit arse about face.... Take it to be checked for size, straightness and other damage BEFORE ordering a gear :) No point messin' about with a scrapper. You don't want a ground crank in a hipo motor. not with good stock size ones easily available.

Can't argue with that :)

I am 99% sure that the crank is fine and no sighs of score marks at all and the engine was running perfect before rebuild. Plus all the bearings were is good condition when removed the, all I having done to the block is a good clean and a hone as the bores are in good condition

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)