The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra demand

nicky

I'm new to the scene currently trying to get ahold of a supra, only after a single turbo 6 speed or even if I buy an auto I will convert to manual, but why are none popping up? Just trying to figure out people's mentalitys on why they want to keep their Supra's?

Even trying to convince people to sell theirs are proving impossible unless for a rediculois price tag out of my budget.

Just looking for opinions?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure people want to keep hold of their Supra's for the same reason you want to buy one.

The days are gone where these cars offered massive BHP for very little financial outlay. The chavs that could afford and used to buy most of the poor examples, ran them into the ground, wrote them off or they were broken for spares. Supply started to dry up, local prices started increasing, Japan got wise and started upping their prices. The pound fell in value and importing became even more expensive.

Decent examples (I mean ones that are properly maintained with parts being replaced because of age rather than failure) are very hard to come by. These cars now command a premium and members now know that if they sell it's going to be harder to find another without spending a lot more money.

I guess most owners are now true enthusiasts and collectors.

That is my take on it anyway :)

I'm sure people want to keep hold of their Supra's for the same reason you want to buy one.

The days are gone where these cars offered massive BHP for very little financial outlay. The chavs that could afford and used to buy most of the poor examples, ran them into the ground, wrote them off or they were broken for spares. Supply started to dry up, local prices started increasing, Japan got wise and started upping their prices. The pound fell in value and importing became even more expensive.

Decent examples (I mean ones that are properly maintained with parts being replaced because of age rather than failure) are very hard to come by. These cars now command a premium and members now know that if they sell it's going to be harder to find another without spending a lot more money.

I guess most owners are now true enthusiasts and collectors.

That is my take on it anyway :)

That pretty much sums it up!

21k probably would get a single 6 speed but theres not exactly an abundance of them. Is the OP aware that they dont come single from factory?

Steve's car was only for sale at that price due to the gearbox issue. You won't get a perfect condition single 6 speed for 21K, I can't see anyone shooting themselves in the foot selling one for that price when they can be broken for more. 21K isn't enough money to tempt any member to sell.

Didn't Jake aka Ripped Fear turn down a 30k offer for his BPU TT 6?

Have you seen the recent pricing for TT6's?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?341971-1998-Toyota-Supra-VVTi-Twin-Turbo-in-RSP-Blue-Stunning!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?341303-1996-Gunmetal-Facelift-V161-6-speed

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?341545-1994-Supra-TT6-Black-BPU-the-one-to-have

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?340011-Toyota-Supra-RZ-TT6-BPU-1996-Orange

Jake had a £26k offer I believe at NEC. I was with him at time and yes he declined it. It could of been more..... Jakes is a pristine example mind and the guy was set on his car.

I totally agree well sorted singles in good condition will command a premium of £25k now in reality. 6spd TTs must be edging £20k too for excellent examples.

It entirely depends whether you want a well maintained example or one you're happy to invest more time and money getting up to standard on.

Jake had a £26k offer I believe at NEC. I was with him at time and yes he declined it. It could of been more..... Jakes is a pristine example mind and the guy was set on his car.

I totally agree well sorted singles in good condition will command a premium of £25k now in reality. 6spd TTs must be edging £20k too for excellent examples.

It entirely depends whether you want a well maintained example or one you're happy to invest more time and money getting up to standard on.

/QUOTE]

Strong money but it just goes to show what I said above is correct. Members know if they sell it's going to be harder to find another decent example without spending a lot more money.

I know we are all different but if Jake wouldn't part with his for 26K then 21K isn't enough (imo) to convince anyone to part with a single 6 speed unless it has problems, they don't know it's potential value or they are moving on to another platform knowing they have no intention of ever wanting to return and can't be bothered to part it out.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)

The problem you're going to have is that a nice 6 speed single is worth much more than £21k in just parts.

Clearly, £21k isn t enough to temp people, so you'll either need to wait in the hope someone does bite (but prices are going up all the time), up your budget, or give up.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I'm new to the scene currently trying to get ahold of a supra, only after a single turbo 6 speed or even if I buy an auto I will convert to manual, but why are none popping up? Just trying to figure out people's mentalitys on why they want to keep their Supra's?

Even trying to convince people to sell theirs are proving impossible unless for a rediculois price tag out of my budget.

Just looking for opinions?

Ok a few reasons, if someone has got one now then they obviously like them and as supply is dwindling it's hard to swap and change. Believe me I used to do it a lot, nearly once a year, but now I've got two good ones and I don't want to risk changing. In my opinion ALL will have some issue or another, or some part(s) that need refreshing and some that go on sale will need lots of work and some sellers will make you aware some won't, can't argue that value for money has really come down from a few years back.

It's also time where everyone is talking up the prices, and it's not just talk, Japanese auctions are higher, the US can start importing the older ones and their domestic prices are high so if you've got one the chances are it's not going down in value and so unless it's a distressed sale why sell? The trouble you have is the ridiculous price tags you talk about have become the norm at least for the time being.

I would think about considering every 6 speed you see for sale, a bpu car is still very brisk, you could argue if the +£20K price tag of a single is putting you off then the running costs might mean you can't keep it long term, unless you just want to own it for a year or two? It's not that a single can't re reliable but you need premium everything, clutch, brakes, tyres to get the best out of it and that's without any major issues that might crop up.

The guy who made the offer to Jake at the NEC then came and talked to me and said he had offered £27k. That is strong money for a Supra TT6 but when you factor in that car has had £10k of parts and lot of labour thrown at it recently then is it really that strong? If someone wants to prise a prized possession from an owner of anything then you'd need to start at a 30% premium and work from there so £21k isn't going to do it for a good car with good credentials. My car with 19 years service history, original white paint and all original matching numbers, I'd sell for £18k if I wanted to sell or £30k (maybe) if someone wanted to buy.

Always best, by far, to wait till one comes up for sale.

I have been considering selling mine for a while as I don't use it anymore,

but I don't need the money and the value keeps rising,

so I keep it maintained and see it as a nest egg, pointless selling now if in a few years I might get more and I get to still enjoy it on odd occassions

I have been considering selling mine for a while as I don't use it anymore,

but I don't need the money and the value keeps rising,

so I keep it maintained and see it as a nest egg, pointless selling now if in a few years I might get more and I get to still enjoy it on odd occassions

Think that's where a lot of the older longer term owners are at. There is no point having cash in the bank to just look at a few extra zeros gaining maybe £2 a month interest over having a Supra sitting in the garage appreciating a lot more than £2 a month and you can get it out occasionally for a fun drive.

On topic please guys, my cars offer doesnt really help the op ;) (An offer id like to point out I asked everyone to keep QUIET about at the show! ;) ) Jungle drums are too much it seams as im pretty sure everyone knows and have done for a fair while, although I find it funny how the figure changes every time the story is told :rlol:

But one thing that can be taken from that is I looked at what I could buy with my offer plus a little savings, and I couldnt find my perfect car with a budget of around 31k. Even that sum wasnt enough for people to part with what I wanted.

To the op, keep a look out and keep saving, move quick if the right car comes up and arrive with cash ready. I got my tt6 for a great deal, but an element of that was right place at the right time, and the fact the owner knew the car would be re-done how it was ment to be done. Id personally look for a nice tt6 an look to go for a simple single setup your self, at least you know its built right that way!

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Yup, this is the sort of spec car that Nicky is going to get with his budget, not sure why he hasn't jumped on it?

Because his budget and expectations are in different ball parks. He just hasn't realised it yet.

One that doesn't have a ridiculous price tag i.e. one that isn't out of his budget going by the op.

See above.

Plenty of cars have come up in the time he's been looking. It's just that "sensibly priced" and "in budget" are not the same thing. In my time looking for the right car, I've seen plenty of reasonably priced cars that I can't afford.

The reason I now own a Supra is because I came to a realistic compromise in what I wanted by 1) realising prices had risen and upped my budget. 2) realising my expectations were too high and lowering them accordingly. (Being careful to lower them on aspects I was happy with. I.e. not holding out for a certain colour, but sticking to my guns about TT6.)

As soon as the OP does a little or a lot of the above 2 things, in a ratio that suits him, he'll find a car he's happy with.

The above can be said for ANY purchase. What is my budget? What is my target purchase? If the 2 align then great, if not one or the other has to be adjusted.

Thanks for all the comment's i've seen plenty of 6 speed singles pop up in the time i have been looking (6-9months) and yes i'm aware prices fluxuate, but i'm willing to carry on holding out until one pops up in my price budget, and one that i like... and to the comments about dreaming expecting a mint car etc, it's almost a 30 year old car in a few years, i'm not expecting show room condition etc, but to raise attention to craigs "Cheap" single turbo build, it was rusty as you could get and then sprayed over with the finest halfords spray paint (Yes i have seen pictures before and after... as i was the one who told him to "sort it" little did i know he was going to spray it over...

But none the less thank you all, i was just trying to get an understanding from people who own them already.