The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decat

Fulcrum2000

I'm going BPU and most people say on a JDM to double decat, but surely my emissions wont pass the MOT will they? Why is everyone recommending to do this when I will surely get F'd in the A on my next test? Am I missing something? Are Supes now so old that emissions are very generous on them for the MOT?

I've been planning to go Na-t for a few years and nearly ready financially, however I am also facing this problem. Mine is a 96 import so I think I will certainly have issues. I also believe that even if your car passes the emission test, if a cat was present before and has been removed, it will fail the MoT.

For myself, finding a friendly test centre OR putting the old cat back each year both seem unlikely ..

I've been planning to go Na-t for a few years and nearly ready financially, however I am also facing this problem. Mine is a 96 import so I think I will certainly have issues. I also believe that even if your car passes the emission test, if a cat was present before and has been removed, it will fail the MoT.

For myself, finding a friendly test centre OR putting the old cat back each year both seem unlikely ..

I'm a 96 NA-T and thankfully had a friendly tester. There's a bit of confusion around it though as a JDM car doesn't register exactly on the database, only UK specs. So the criteria changes if a tester goes through this process properly.

I'm a 96 NA-T and thankfully had a friendly tester. There's a bit of confusion around it though as a JDM car doesn't register exactly on the database, only UK specs. So the criteria changes if a tester goes through this process properly.

Yes I have heard the testers often use the wrong base car which has higher controls and results in failure... I'm ok with this side, it's more the fact if a cat has been removed it's a fail.. Would fitting a sports cat be a workable solution?

Edited by PaulD76 (see edit history)

It was, the fuel cut system was banging in every time I put my foot down for more than a second. The previous owners (or abusers I should say) had installed boost blocks making the turbos madly overboost. Needless to say I immediately removed this dangerous addition but now I want to upgrade the car properly

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants the boost blocks to make it boost to about 1.5 they're welcome to them by the way.

2JZ-GE (non turbo) doesn't need a cat for an MOT regardless as it's not a recognised engine on the uk system. The 2JZ-GTE will need a cat as it is recognised since it was sold in the uk. A lot of people (myself included) run decaf and then put the car back on for the mot and then remove again...or if you're lucky then find a friendly MOT tester :thumbs:

Style - do you mean Younger than 96 the test changes by the way?

Yeah a TT made before 1996 is subject to a standing idle test only which makes passing emissions much easier. A TT made after 1996 gets a stricter test and, as drift_bear said, all NA's SHOULD get standing idle tests as far as I'm aware. It's a bit of a grey area really when it comes to emissions