The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JDM Brakes and Turbos

Fulcrum2000

I have a JDM TT and I wondered can I just buy UK brakes and fit them as they are so much better or dont they fit (I have 18 inch alloys so thats no issue but the discs have a shroud which would seem to prohibit larger ones)? I have the twin and single pots as I can see my pads and whilst I've upgraded pads discs and lines for new stopping isnt my Supes strong point. If I cant fit UK is there any upgrades that dont make me exchange intergalactic spice to pay for them?

Also in a similar vein can I just buy and fit US model turbos to my JDM, they are as we all know stronger and handle more boost and I imagine are identical in dimensions. has anyone done this?

93 JDM TT

Have a search dude, this has been covered so many times now and there is a current thread regarding the dust shields below this thread.

Plenty of info on here but long story short is yes you can if you are talking about a caliper swap and re turbos, no you can't unless you fit the US spec manifold.

To be honest I wouldn't bother, JDM can take 1.2 bar, they spool quicker than their steel counter parts and I believe the JDM turbo housings are bigger than the US versions which give you more scope for going hybrid if the ceramic blades fail.

I wouldn't change my JDMs for US or UK spec turbos.

You can definitely fit UK brakes mate, as you said though it all comes down to wheel clearance. The UK caliper is a chunky slab and protudes quite far out, the depth is nornally the issue. Many people run spacers to help which is an option.

I've been checking the forums and there is a bit of a difference of opinion on the brake issue, some say the UK brakes give better stopping distances whereas other say just because they have more pistons the pressure is still the same due to the limitations on the fluid itself - they say the only advantage I will get is they wont overheat so quickly? Not sure who is right?

Fully working j-specs with good pads and fresh discs can lockup your wheels under braking. The UK's will do it several times without fading and I've found just feel a bit more solid. Both will eventually overheat if you try, UK's handle the heat better without running fancy pads and fluids. It all depends on what you want out of the car.

There are threads on the measured breaking distances and various other gubbins that can be found through a touch of rummaging about if you want the numbers. I can't see that I've saved a link to any. I swapped to UK's as my J's were a bit shot and for the cost of an overhaul I figured I might as well replace them. Very few things are better than the UK brakes if they're in good condition. There is also a thread on wheels known to clear the UK brakes.

I've been checking the forums and there is a bit of a difference of opinion on the brake issue, some say the UK brakes give better stopping distances whereas other say just because they have more pistons the pressure is still the same due to the limitations on the fluid itself - they say the only advantage I will get is they wont overheat so quickly? Not sure who is right?

Bigger brakes do not stop a car an appreciable distance shorter than smaller brakes. They do dissipate heat more efficiently so reduce fade on repeat use. So in a street scenario of emergency stop bigger or smaller brakes - essentially no difference. If on a track, bigger brakes means better braking due to less heat fade.

For stopping, pad material, tyre compound and tyre width are much much much more influential than brake disc size or number of pots.