The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK brakes - Dust shields

evinX

Hi all, looking into the UK brake conversion and im a little baffled with the rear dust shields.

With the fronts people cut a slot in the shields to slide the old ones off and the new ones on. Simple.

But with the rears it has the fittings for the handbrake shoe assembly, looking at the pictures of the rear shield, if i were to cut a slot into the rear shield to be put on, i would loose a mounting point where the pin goes through, ending up with the handbrake assembly not working.

Now if i were to remove the hub, wouldnt the bearings get damaged as the rear wheel hub is pressed into the bearing?

How have people done theirs? picture attached

thanks, Kev

Untitled.jpg

Is that why people always trim the lip off the JDM ones when fitting UK spec rears or is it the cost of the rears at around £300 per side?

Its a bit more than £300 a side for the jspec ones these days (I got quoted £260 each FOB Japan recently).

its a hub off job to swap these out and with good quality bearings around £60 each why wouldn't you want to change those and the hand brake shoes at the same time? Can't see the point in notch cutting the fronts either, another opportunity for hub off bearing change. If the dust shields have corroded beyond recognition chances are the bearings could well be hitting their end of life also.

Spoke to Keron earlier, For this ill be swapping the front shields, cutting a peice out to slip the uks on and on the rears ill be trimming the jspec shield and not needing to mess with the handbrake assy again. Would like to have it done by the books but having to remove hubs and press bearings in to do a brake updgrade isnt worth the hastle. This way its all bolt on after some trimming with a dremel and filing the rough edges.

I would change the hub too, I have replaced just the wheel bearing before and the hub had slight play so highly recommended to replace it at the same time

Think its £160 for the hub and factor bearing £70 .. I also replaced my hub nut £5.

Did not bother replacing shoes , Still had good meat on them and looked in good nic. There only applied when the car is stationary so in theory shouldn't wear down lol Just gave them a quick rub over.

I done the work myself, just used the a press at work .. not bad job at all

Its a bit more than £300 a side for the jspec ones these days (I got quoted £260 each FOB Japan recently).

its a hub off job to swap these out and with good quality bearings around £60 each why wouldn't you want to change those and the hand brake shoes at the same time? Can't see the point in notch cutting the fronts either, another opportunity for hub off bearing change. If the dust shields have corroded beyond recognition chances are the bearings could well be hitting their end of life also.