The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fluidamper Or Titan Damper

a98pmalcolm

Hey all..

Im looking at replacing my crank pully damper due to the power of the car and all the ones i have seen fail recently.

So i was looking at the Fluidamper and Titan Motorsports damper.

Cant decide on the 2 so I was wondering if anyone has used either, which one could be better than the other ect

Thanks

Unless you are stroking the crank the stock damper *WILL* be tuned to the harmonics of the engine correctly. A Fluidamper is a broad band tuned damper and unlikley to be anything like as effective as one carefully tuned to damp particular resonances. Unless you have and understand the needs for a none stock damper I would never fit anything other than an OE one.Engine power is pretty much irrelevant, the damper neither knows nor cares about that, it only "feels" harmonics in the crank as it twists and untwists, and if designed correctly the outer ring's inertia damps these oscillations to a point of none self harm, or runaway.

Don't the stock dampers have a tendency to crack and fail over time. I use a Fluidamper for that reason.

Over 20 years...

I never understood the Fluidamper or the ATI one.

They are multi fit items, meaning that they fit various different cars with the centre plate changing. Surely that means they are in no way tuned to the specific needs of the 2JZ, as they are universal.

A stock OEM one can be had for £220+vat, why spend more on one which isnt really designed for the engine?

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

Over 20 years...

They are multi fit items, meaning that they fit various different cars with the centre plate changing. Surely that means they are in no way tuned to the specific needs of the 2JZ, as they are universal.

A stock OEM one can be had for £220+vat, why spend more on one which isnt really designed for the engine?

Because I can get the Fluidamper trade price from our US supplier ;)

You have it Ric, that's precisely it. Having said that some high level drag race series insist on some none stock rotating parts or rotating constraining parts. Although it's hard to know where to draw the line, my drag racing pal told me someone in the spectator area was"shot" by an escaping V8 push rod recently...

Don't the stock dampers have a tendency to crack and fail over time. I use a Fluidamper for that reason.

As has been said, it's generally very old age that kills them. Personally I view them as a 5 year maximum service item, along with the belts.

Pattern ones are common now, and people have had mixed results with these. Personally I would always go stock, but I think there was at the veryeveryeast a bad batch of oem ones, as I've heard of a few failing in a short amount of time.

Over 20 years...

Why do they need to be tuned to the specific needs of the car? Surely if the purpose and method is the same then there's no reason for it not to be universally compatible. A good review here. Heavier than stock damper too but note comments about a smoother more balanced crank and similar power.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3972/Fluidampr-The-Independent-Test.aspx

Fluidampr for me and its maintenance free too so why risk anything else.