The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Functional rear diffuser?

el_bandido

Does anyone have an example of a proven functional rear diffuser on a Supra? The trial rear, do-luck and shine auto ones are just for show. Having spoken to Paul at Whifbitz, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Is my only option to get one made? I'll be having a front splitter and intend to have the car low enough to make use of some ground effects on the track, so it would make sense to have a rear diffuser that actually does something.

Top Secret do one but it's mega rare and very expensive. No idea if it's actually functional either. Would be cheaper and easier to get one made than trying to find one.

You'd probably have to sacrifice a rear bumper to actually get any use out of one. There's not much room to just bolt on

EDIT: Just remembered the Shine Auto one is a replica of the TS one. Not sure if there are any differences

I've read a bit more into the do-luck, apparently it was tested in a wind tunnel but I can't find any actual details of what it was tested for or what the results were. Top Secret is identical to the shine auto apparently and provides no benefit whatsoever from a functional perspective.

Yeah, which is why I started this thread. I'm wondering if anyone has actually done the work before; I'd imagine some race teams must have at some point, but whether the information is available or not, I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome. Flat floor is something I was considering, not sure how it would work out on a road car though. I'm basically going to be using this car for a lot of track time when it's done.

THAT looks awesome !!

For a rear diffuser to work you also need a flat floor. Otherwise they act like parachutes.

This is my racing Supra but with the entire center inspection plate taken off.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=218836&stc=1&d=1494602550

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=218837&stc=1&d=1494602784

For a rear diffuser to work you also need a flat floor. Otherwise they act like parachutes.

:thumbs:

If I recall this set-up had input from Tony at an F1 wind tunnel, I also vaguely remember the car was 3D scanned and modelled, was a long time ago now though :D

On an entirely unrelated note, my searching has turned up this very expensive active spoiler. I reckon that would shave a few seconds off at the ring.

We are currently working on something like that as well, however something a little more sturdy and quicker than those cable driven worm drive actuators.

:) I cant imagine ours being $4k either - wow.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=218836&stc=1&d=1494602550

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=218837&stc=1&d=1494602784

Any plans to make any more for sale?

We are currently working on something like that as well, however something a little more sturdy and quicker than those cable driven worm drive actuators.

:) I cant imagine ours being $4k either - wow.

If whatever you use to control it is CAN-bus compatible I'd be very very interested.

I did quite abit of reading up on the net as i was going to build something for mine, in the end ive shelved the idea as i`m quite happy with the balance of the car atm. infact i`m trying to get more grip on the front end with different suspension and geo setup.