The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knocking noise coming from the rear! Help please!

HarleyFDMD

I have just driven back home from Milton Keynes (just over an hour) and i definitely have a knocking noise coming from the rear end.

I have heard it once or twice before but just shrugged it off as the exhaust popping.

It only does it when accelerating, so when you first press the throttle it knocks, or if you change gear it'll knock as soon as you put your foot back on the gas.

It knocks when pulling off too.

Travelling at motorway speeds just constantly blipping the throttle itll do it every time.

Basically everytime the car gets any change in forward momentum it knocks.

Its quite a hollow knock, similar to an exhaust pop.

Any advice, anyone had this before?

I have given the exhaust a good wobble and it doesnt seem to be fouling anything, im fairly confident its not suspension related as everything was new last year.

Drop links mate? Have you checked them and recently them at all recently?

/QUOTE]

Drop links were brand new at the start of last year along with all the bushes.

I have just been out in it again round town (frequent gear changes) and have noticed it actually knocks twice, once when letting off the throttle and again when applying the throttle.. as if something is moving back and forth as the weight distribution alters

Rear brakes? Something caught between the pads?

Thats possible, the rear discs and pads were also new last year but i have never been 100% happy with my handbrake.

When the handbrake is applied the car rolls forward an inch or so before it actually engages. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Something with my hubs perhaps

Thats possible, the rear discs and pads were also new last year but i have never been 100% happy with my handbrake.

When the handbrake is applied the car rolls forward an inch or so before it actually engages. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Something with my hubs perhaps

If your not happy with your brakes that would be my first port of call, it could be something as simple as a small stone.

If your not happy with your brakes that would be my first port of call, it could be something as simple as a small stone.

Its not that im not happy with them as such. They work perfectly, its just this handbrake thing where to car rolls slightly when applying the handbrake.

Id have thought a stone or such would cause a scrapping noise? I will certainly check them out though

Its not that im not happy with them as such. They work perfectly, its just this handbrake thing where to car rolls slightly when applying the handbrake.

Id have thought a stone or such would cause a scrapping noise? I will certainly check them out though

I can't help but wonder if it's a handbrake shoe catching. How is the diff?

Subframe bolts?

I have heard of these working loose. The subframe was off last year so they are worth checking again. However i would have though subframe bolts would cause a knock over bumps etc? This knock is purely caused from forward/backward motion and only with the accelerator.

Tbh im thinking its prop shaft related

Could.be the drive shaft and the different knocking back.and forth with momentum? MRX old 6speed spurs did this. Not shore how often but could heard more of a clunk that a knock but sounds similar.

When I get mine back il have to keep a ear out for it see if mine does it. I have a auto bigcase different though don't know if that helps at all.

Could.be the drive shaft and the different knocking back.and forth with momentum? MRX old 6speed spurs did this. Not shore how often but could heard more of a clunk that a knock but sounds similar.

When I get mine back il have to keep a ear out for it see if mine does it. I have a auto bigcase different though don't know if that helps at all.

It makes exactly the noise i would expect a prop/diff knock to make and does it at exactly the time force would be applied to both.

I just dont know how to check them?

From your video on facebook it really looks like the wheel is loose, it's moving left to right even in and out.

The wheel studs do move around in the brake disk very slightly, enough to clunk.. But if the wheel was tight against the hub it shouldn't move.

From your video on facebook it really looks like the wheel is loose, it's moving left to right even in and out.

The wheel studs do move around in the brake disk very slightly, enough to clunk.. But if the wheel was tight against the hub it shouldn't move.

I know exactly what you mean Ric but its not the wheel studs rattling around in the disc holes.. the disc and all is moving together with the wheel.

If i apply the foot brake everything locks up solid, it wouldnt do that if the wheel was loose