The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undersealing

foggy147

Hi All

My next main job for the Supra is to get the underside treated for any rust and get it properly undersealed.

Struggling to get anyone who does the job near me (Warrington) and obviously it's a job I want done right.

Would it be easier enough to do yourself with a bit of time and effort? Was contemplating buying some of the plastic low profile ramps what lift the car about 20cm and tackling it but if access is going to be a nightmare would rather it go to a garage and get it done on the ramp properly.

Any help or recommendations greatly appreciated as want to get it done whilst the weather is improving!

Don't mean to hijack a thread but I was just about to post something like this and don't wanna clutter the forum. Are there any reputable people around kent that do unersealing? How much would a good job cost? I've seen some low prices about online but I don't like to cheap out on maintenance.

And as for your stand idea, this is a job you want done right. I wouldnt advise doing it like this as you'll more than likely end up missing spots. I can't imagine youll get it 100% right laying on your back.

Edited by Karl M N (see edit history)

I think most would agree that it's a messy job, especially if you intend on doing it on 20cm stands! it's one that you're better off paying someone else to do. Especially if you want to do a proper job (steaming cleaning first)

I remember investigating it for a previous car I had, and IIRC, Bilthamber do a good undersealant if you fancy having a crack yourself. Waxoyl is also popular, but apparently stays slightly damp? Can't see how that's beneficial but seems to get decent enough reviews.

Also, when you say treating the rust, I assume you mean cutting out and welding new metal in?

Edited by SkyInsurance (see edit history)

For me it came down to a choice between Waxoyl and Bilthamber. While the Bilt product is superior according to the group tests i've seen, it is also much more expensive. So I thought the best compromise for me was to use waxoyl, applied more frequently.

I think the first thing I would do before settling on a course of action would be to get the car up on ramps, and fully inspect the underside.

Without getting right underneath it I don't know how good or bad it is, from what I can see it seems to be in very good nick considering it's age.

I have just emailed JR Classics to get a price for the work, told them id want loads of before and after shots of the process to make sure it's done correctly. Will see what I get back and let you know.

If you do decide to do it yourself i can recommend POR-15 (3step treatment), this compared to the likes of waxoyl is like chalk and cheese. I did mine a couple of weeks back on axle stands. A full day job but it wasn't too bad. Just don't get it on your skin unless you don't mind having it on there for a few weeks :blink:

Then a twice annual squirt all over the underside and inside of arches of ACF50 is all you need :thumbs:

IMO :p

I've just done along the the jacking seals and up into both arches myself last week, straightening them out and taking back to bare metal. Jet washed, brake cleaner any old waxoyl off, bare metaled, etch primer, satin black, stone chip then waxoyl.

It's one hell of a messy job, takes a lot of time and patience but the end result I'm very happy with. Done with it on axle stands just to do the seals, then get it on the ramp to do the rest of the underbody.

JR classics have just come back to me, quoted around £430 dependent on treatment used. Asked for a price on the Bilthamber stuff, will see what they say. Not the cheapest but don't mind paying a bit more if it's done right, and judging from some of there work on the website they seem to know what they are doing!

Hoping to get it in there next weekend if possible and will leave it there for a week or two to be done properly.