The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autosol vs Meguiars Finishing vs AutoGlym Metal Polish

a98pmalcolm

Hey all..

Bit of a spin off this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?341980-White-Diamond-Metal-Polish

I have been using a few different metal polishes over the years and recently due to my car being off the road over xmas and left outside to rot a little, I have been working on getting all the rough/damaged polished areas of my engine bay at up to scratch.

Its a lot better than it was but being being a fussy git I'm always on the hunt for something to make things look better. In this case the best metal polish.

So I thought I'd use the 3 I have here already and do a comparison on my inlet manifold, this could be something that may come handy for someone else...

So the 3 in comparison are:

1. Autosol Metal Polish

2. Meguiars Finishing Metal Polish

3. Autoglym Metal Polish

Note* This is not the NXT Meguiars metal polish but the Finishing Metal Polish, its a little harder to some by being its focused on the American market.

This is the manifold in its current state, had a basic polishing last week

I taped up 3 sections for the comparison

All 3 polishes applied

Left - Autosol - We all know this one its like toothpaste..

Middle - Meguiars - In a container, quite a solid thick substance.

Right - AutoGlym - Really thin, similar to paint polish, not the most easy to manage, especially over small areas.

All 3 buffed Off

You can tell the best one already

Closer Result of Autosol

Closer result of Meguiars

Closer Result of AutoGlym

After removing the tape completely you can see the left being Autosol and the right side being AutoGlym the results are very similar, but at my surprise the Meguiars really stands out, so much you can actually see a line of a finer, higher and better result of polishing.

The Meguiars stuff you can really feel it working itself due to it feeling more difficult than the other 2 to apply near on straight after you begin to rub it in.

All 3 did a good job, but with the Meguiars one standing out the best so I thought I'd quickly do the whole manifold with the Meguiars.

Results weren't too bad:

Well It come use to some of you, or may have made an interesting read to some, thanks thanks for reading anyway :)

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I've found autosol and autoglym too harsh for aluminium, they leave micro scratches behind.

The best stuff I've found, by far, is belgom.

The others are fine for chrome and stainless, but aluminium is very soft

Hi Gaz. Autosol on Chrome will ruin it. I found that out the expensive way back in my Ford days. If Autosol ia used on Chrome it will scratch the hell out of it really badly. Due due the reason you gave. Its pretty harsh.

Super resin polish is the stuff to use on Chrome :)

Nice difference there, I use meguirs NXT metal polish, best ive used

Kleers is also very very good but i do find it a tad abrasive for just the usual keeping on top of things on my engine, thin parts like the overflow tank and catch tank it will leave scratches

Autosol is definately not for maintenance imo, its great at restoring though

Nice difference there, I use meguirs NXT metal polish, best ive used

Kleers is also very very good but i do find it a tad abrasive for just the usual keeping on top of things on my engine, thin parts like the overflow tank and catch tank it will leave scratches

Autosol is definately not for maintenance imo, its great at restoring though

NXT Stuff is great, I used that for years, thought I'd give the Finishing Polish a go this time around. I guess its similar but this stuff is white apposed to the NXT stuff which is blue.

NXT Stuff is great, I used that for years, thought I'd give the Finishing Polish a go this time around. I guess its similar but this stuff is white apposed to the NXT stuff which is blue.

Think ill have to give that stuff a go, looks good in the pics :thumbs:

Guest Budz86
Nice job dude

Any of you guys use Peek polish ? Ordered some a few mins ago from ebay before i saw this thread lol

Yes, I was just trying to think what I have in the garage and it's that! Great stuff as it's much less harsh than autosol and gives a great finish even after one application