The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bpu

Class One

I haven't been a member that long but i've owned my supe since last June.

What sort of money is it for a BPU? What sort of stuff needs to be done?

(I know i said on a thread a while back that i wasn't up for tuning my car but..)

Just toying with the idea really at this stage cos firstly i want side skirts and some hard pipe work done first. (wifey permitting the expense!!)

Your opinions would be welcome.

Off the top of my head:

Decat pipes - either one pipe to do both or two pipes to replace one each.

Restrictor ring

Fuel cut defender

Colder spark plugs

Uprated fuel pump, either Warlboro or UK spec

Decent boost gauge.

You can get any of this stuff from the traders on here :thumbs:

I see your car is the same year as mine..... if your intercooler looks anything like mine then a new / uprated one would be a good idea before you up the boost.

My car was completely stock before going BPU .. here was my shopping list

RSR Exhaust = £475

2 x CW Decat Pipes = £280

CW Restrictor Ring = £17

Walbro Fuel Pump = £100

TRL VFCC = £50

6x Denso's Plugs = £65

DEFI Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges & Controller = £320

Pillar Pod = £55

Then the labour to fit the stuff.

Thanks guys, what sort of extra performance did it give you?

(Just seen above posted but!)

Bearing in mind that the jdm supra is meant to be 280bhp what are you putting out now?( I actually think mine is in excess of that easily)

And how does that translate to on road performance?

:thanks:

Thanks guys, what sort of extra performance did it give you?

(Just seen above posted but!)

Bearing in mind that the jdm supra is meant to be 280bhp what are you putting out now?( I actually think mine is in excess of that easily)

Dunno about bhp figures - but when booting car. Can lose traction in 1st,2nd & 3rd. The rear end of the car only stops fish-tailing when I've upshifted into 4th & by that time .. speed is about 100. Can really feel it when turbo #2 kicks in. Usual boost level is 1.2 Bar .. and only once have I overboosted between 1.25 & 1.3 Bar.

aint had a problem with traction

i think its the grin factor when you feel the second turbo kick in at 4000rpm. when my carwas stock i didnt notice the change so couldnt have told you at which point. now i can.... :D

Scoboblio

Signature changed (for now!) :tongue:

I was just after some ideas on cost really. I still think its fast enough but it was watching Rays the Roof vid of the Midlands meet that planted the seed really.

I don't think i'll be BPU'ing this year anyway, if I do it will be a long term thang.

Cosmetic this year then i'll see!

I think we all want more power because we become accustomed to it - and then get bored for the current power. That might be why some people have gone big single.

Exactly right. You do get used to it and yes, you do want more. The problem then becomes a matter of a) Return on investment in terms of "bang for bucks" and b) Being able to put all this new found power to good use on the street.

It is all well and good reading about the 1000 BHP cars in america running 8's etc but those cars are not driven daily on roads such as ours. The best bit of advice I got was from Terry S when he advised me what "streetable" power I should be going for - it was a very good shout. :respekt:

Class_One, I see you've colour coded your active spoiler, is it down all the time?

I'm torn between removing mine altogether or bolting it down and colour coding it :gallery:

Yours looks good, do you have any problems with low kerbs etc?

And BTW, sorry for the :hijack:

You must use iridium plugs, there is load of stuff on her about the right ones to use.

why iridium?? i know you need colder plugs when running higher than stock boost, but im pretty sure the ngk coppers gapped to 0.8mm can run upto around 1.2 bar....

iridiums basically destroy themselves when you det too much and stop bits of spark plug getting into the engine and doing some serious damage :)

I leave it down all the time when driving but raise it when parking or when the road has the dreaded speed humps!!!!

I noticed on another thread the some people can only lower their spoiler when the engine is off. i can raise/lower mine on the move/stationary.

I remember riding shotgun in Supra's that were less powerful than mine is now and being "stuck to the seat" with the accelerative g-forces. I "know" mine is fast, especially around normal cars but you do get used to it and come to accept it as the norm.

""why iridium?? i know you need colder plugs when running higher than stock boost, but im pretty sure the ngk coppers gapped to 0.8mm can run upto around 1.2 bar....

iridiums basically destroy themselves when you det too much and stop bits of spark plug getting into the engine and doing some serious damage :)""

OK Must is perhaps too strong. I guess it comes down to personal preference. But I think most people running tuned MKIV's tend to use irridium over copper. I have always used irridium plugs in my car and will continue to do so , over the life of the plugs it may work out a bit more expensive, but they have always look in great condition when chsanged.

However if you are detting then plugs are the least of you worries.