The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tillett racing seats arrived

Mario

Finally, came back yesterday from sea and me miss had them boxes stored at home so we could unpack them together, happy as a child :D

We ordered a set of Tillett B7 40's with the TBF5 side mounts.

The B7's weigh in at 3,7 kg each according to Tillett Racing seats. we unpacked them and the headrest padding was already installed same goes for the mounting accessories so think that is the 100 gram addition as we weighed them on scale the scale measured 3,8kg and the side mounts 1,1 kg per seat. Still pretty lightweight if you ask me with an overall weight of 4,8-4,9 kg per seat.

The quality is 1st class we did a little video so you can see yourself,

Hope you enjoy the video, trying to get these installed coming weekend hope we can add some pictures to give you an idea how they look in the supra.

Do these have FIA or TUV approval? I ask because a very good friend of mine is now a semi invalid when a carbon seat tore off its mounting in an accident and left him flying around the inside of a car that rolled. Some of them have TOTALLY inadequate reinforcement on their mounting points to spread the fearsome loads an adult strapped in it create in a big accident.

My pal went from an ultra fit, articulate and witty builder to a shell of himself, unable to recognise members of his family with slurred speech and unsteady gait, with serious skeletal problems. Don't take any chances!! I put a Skyline into the barrier, ever so gently, at Oulton and the stock seat suffered total backrest failure and I ended up looking at the headlining. I was lucky.

My pal went from an ultra fit, articulate and witty builder to a shell of himself, unable to recognise members of his family with slurred speech and unsteady gait, with serious skeletal problems. Don't take any chances!! I put a Skyline into the barrier, ever so gently, at Oulton and the stock seat suffered total backrest failure and I ended up looking at the headlining. I was lucky.

That sounds terrible :(

I think the advice goes for all Carbon fibre or FG based seats not just these tillett units.

That said the tillet FIA approved seats are vastly different to the non FIA approved seats.

The backs are much thicker and reinforced as well as the seat lower is wider and again thicker.

Im not trying to discount what happened to your mate, but these are not made on the cheap. IIRC both ended up costing me over a grand each once you bought all the FIA approved hardware too.

I am sure the FIA licensed ones are fine, when I was active doing kart racing I used a Tillet seat and it was very well made. Not knocking Tillet, just haunted by my mate's injuries which would not have happened had the seat remained attached to the still perfectly functioning subframe. No idea if it was a Tillet, but whatever it was, it proved woefully inadequate.

Hi there Chris real sorry to hear that your mate has suffered from an incident by using a carbon fibre seat that has been insufficient in order to keep the driver safe, as Richard said you can find all details on their website. I feel your concerns with CF seats but it aint stopping me installing these lovely B7's.

We installed the seats and very happy with the end result.

The supra sits now at 1452kg with a 100% full tank the old seats weighed in at 13.8kg(thought really that they were heavier, but it is what it is), the weight saved is around 18kilos.

These seats give so much support when strapped in they're like a mold, we'll see how it goes when we' re driving to Calais coming week, see how we come out after a long trip:)

Bare carbon seats are as comfortable as their fit. If you are exactly the right shape for the seat they can be fine, if you are not they are torture. Bear in mind in a race car they normally are an oversize shell with a "foam to your exact shape" liner moulded around you as you sit in the shell. then they are perfect, like a Saville Row suit.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice you youngsters must have good buttocks to sit in them lol.

Now now, the Yew Tree enquiry *IS* ongoing..... ;)