The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for a big favour!

foggy147

Well today has been a pretty shite day in the life of Supra ownership! Got in the car to work this morning and on way the battery light and the tailgate light lights had lit up on the dashboard and my Speedo kept dropping to zero.whenever I blipped the throttle above 3.5-4k revs the Speedo kicked in again.

I decided to change the battery knowing it's not likely to be that, but figured it's been 4 years apparently since the last one so figured just to do it as the other one will now come in handy as a spare just incase.

Anyway took it to an auto centre on way home and the alternator is only reading out approx 12v with full lights on etc.

Problem i now have is I don't want to be driving the car incase it dies. Going to buy a new alternator but just wondered if anyone near Warrington /Newton Le Willows could fit it for me (at the going rate obviously) if I were to buy the alternator?

Was planning to take it to Chris again but it takes an hour and half and it's to risky. Tried AC Speedtech in Warrington who are hammered with work for the next few weeks.

Appreciate anyones help as it's a job I'm definitely not to comfortable doing myself!

Mate the alternator is really easy to fit.

Slip off the aux belt and ideally remove the viscous fan so you have more room (you will need to remove fan shroud and top rad hose before hand).

You need to release tension on the arm to get the belt off, think it is a 14mm nut. Might be easier to use a breaker bar to ease it but do it carefully.

Then disconnect battery terminals and remove the 12m nut holding the 12v wire onto alternator unplugging connector.

Then just a case of removing 14mm bolt at top and bottom of alternator which will then allow you to remove the unit.

Install new one in reverse and hopefully should resolve your problems. An hour max if that mate.

Ok thanks Sheefa I've roped someone in to help at the weekend who's very good at anything mechanical!

To be 100% that I'm ordering the right alternator. Paul at TCB has stock of a new TT alternator (big case)? Will this fit a 1999 NA auto? Want to make sure it bolts straight on!