The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alternator?

Dutchman

Yesterday i drove back home from japfest (310 miles) all was well, came to start it this morning...and it's just clicking like it's battery is flat, jumped of the other car it started fine. Drove the car for 45 minutes but when indicating lights dim on the dash. I presume the alternator has decided to die on the way home. Or do any of you have any other ideas? Thanks

If the alternator was the issue the car battery most probably wouldn't last 45 mins, let alone the drive home..

The clicking sounds like the starter motor, common issue if you hear the ticking. But after jumping off another car it starts fine, so that would rule that out.

If the alternator was the issue the car battery most probably wouldn't last 45 mins, let alone the drive home..

The clicking sounds like the starter motor, common issue if you hear the ticking. But after jumping off another car it starts fine, so that would rule that out.

It did maybe one revolution of the engine before it started clicking, but like you say with a jump it started instantly so it rules that out in my mind. The battery is flat as a pancake put it on the battery charger after the 45 minute drive and it was as far in the red as the gauge went :( unless the battery itself is dead

I'd say alternator.... could also be a faulty crank pulley if its split as the belt slips and causes it to not charge the battery.... have a look into both of these....

I have any of the bits if you need anything....

Think I've found the culprit, the battery was goosed, left it on charge all night came to try it this morning still nothing, jumped it then checked with multi meter and it's charging at 14.5 volts. So bought a new battery this morning and see how that goes. Thanks for the replies