The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with gearbox oil.

jot_ie

Hi all

Need a little direction on gearbox oil.

The rear seal on my V161 gearbox is weeping so I am having that replaced.

I would also like to replace the gearbox oil as it has never been done.

I know the original Toyota V160 oil (PART No. 08885-01306) is no longer available, but I did ask Toyota to look it up and their system directed to this instead. (pic enclosed)

It has a part number of 08886-82025.

Has anyone ever used this in their V160/V161?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

0888682025.jpg

Thanks Guys.

But I think I may need to source it locally, because as far as I am aware, you can't post liquids to Ireland. Are oils not classified as hazardous materials?

I need to get it over the weekend anyway as the car is booked in for engine mounts and gearbox seal on Tuesday.

I can prob delay this if needs be though.

Thanks Guys.

But I think I may need to source it locally, because as far as I am aware, you can't post liquids to Ireland. Are oils not classified as hazardous materials?

I need to get it over the weekend anyway as the car is booked in for engine mounts and gearbox seal on Tuesday.

Give Ali burrows or Powermax a shout. They should have a suitable oil in stock. The Toyota stuff isn't the most advanced compared with what can be got now. You may find an aftermarket alternative will be just as good if not better

Thanks Guys.

Dunno about that, but there's no way of getting any to you for the weekend anyway, sorry.

It'll be a hell of a lot cheaper sent to NI, and no problems sending it there...

I am sure it would be significantly cheaper, but unfortunately I don't have anywhere in NI that you could send it.

I am about an hour south of Dublin.

I am sure it would be significantly cheaper, but unfortunately I don't have anywhere in NI that you could send it.

I am about an hour south of Dublin.

You can send it to me if you like. I live in Lisburn, beside Sprucefield.

Hi all

Apologies if it looked like I abandoned this and appeared rude, but it was a bank holiday weekend here and I got treated to a surprise long weekend away in the west of Ireland.

No broadband and barely a phone signal.

You can send it to me if you like. I live in Lisburn, beside Sprucefield.

/QUOTE]

That is seriously kind of you, the club spirit is a fantastic thing. I will try to arrange with Chris and see what we can organise.

Many thanks.

It'll be a hell of a lot cheaper sent to NI, and no problems sending it there...

Hi Chris, can I get a price from you for say 4 litres, delivered to NI.

Once again guys, apologies for looking like I abandoned this. Certainly wouldn't like to appear rude as there are so many very helpful people on this site.

Jot use Parcel motel in NI , they send to Dublin for 3.50 euro , I get oil sent over from the UK all the time

http://www.parcelmotel.com/

If you are really stuck I have 2 Litres of V160/161 Toyota Oil at home , I am in South Dublin

I can get it off Paul or Chris , Paul has it up for £57.60 incl VAT per litre

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota-1096.html

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Jot use Parcel motel in NI , they send to Dublin for 3.50 euro , I get oil sent over from the UK all the time

http://www.parcelmotel.com/

If you are really stuck I have 2 Litres of V160/161 Toyota Oil at home , I am in South Dublin

I can get it off Paul or Chris , Paul has it up for £57.60 incl VAT per litre

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota-1096.html

Hi Jellybean

Many thanks for that.

I might just take you up on your offer, would save a lot of hassle.

I am in south Dublin quite a bit as I used to live near Knocklyon and I have to be in Dub from time to time for work meetings and to see my sons.

As long as you are sure you can get more, I have no problem covering any costs.

I have got oil from the the UK to my door with the post man.

That is good to know. I did check the post office web site and they said no liquids.

I changed over to the Royal Purple Synchromax last year on the recommendation of many users here and not noticed any difference. That's about £15 a quart which is a third of the price for the Toyota branded transmission oil (08885-01306). Whifbitz have the Toyota stuff listed as available at around £50 a litre.

Or you could go for a quick supply on the BMW Getrag oil MTF-LT-2 which you can get for around £5/l.

I have acquired a large drum of the Toyota stuff, and would be willing to decant into clean 4 or 5 litre containers. Need to work a price out as the drum wasn't full when i bought it. But enough for the foreseeable future.

Chris I just emailed you about this. My emails have ended up in your junk mail in the past so just letting you know to check for my message.

Cheers

Karl

I changed over to the Royal Purple Synchromax last year on the recommendation of many users here and not noticed any difference. That's about £15 a quart which is a third of the price for the Toyota branded transmission oil (08885-01306). Whifbitz have the Toyota stuff listed as available at around £50 a litre.

Or you could go for a quick supply on the BMW Getrag oil MTF-LT-2 which you can get for around £5/l.

Many thanks. I heard the Synchromax was good indeed.

But as I have basically refurbished quite a bit of the car after it was stolen and damaged, I have put only original OEM parts back into it .. except wheels.

If I can get original parts I will use them until such point that nobody can get them, and by the time that time comes around, it will be someone else's problem, probably one of my sons :-)

I know I'm being a bit picky but if oem is possibly, it would be my preferred route.