The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car failed MOT

Whitesupraboy2

well my car has failed its MOT on 3 things.

Fog light wrong colour - easily solvable ill be getting the red paint out again!

excessive brake imbalance on the front - i changed the front discs and pads since last MOT, guessing i must of got air in there. anyone in bmth wana help me coz i must be a cock!

3rd and most worringly

emissions to high (LAMBDA)- it says on sheet fast idle fail, 1.051 max is 1.031

what can i do to sort out the emissions??

will resetting ECU and filling up with optimax before the MOT be enough to sort it?

any ideas be very helpful i got till next sat to sort it

cheers for that Jake, just spoke to dad's friend who mechanic he siad exactly what you said. take the thing out blow in it :D and then get the thing bloody hot for when you get there, in case it the CAT, also said check air filter see if it blocked.

As for the brakes, im pretty sure ive cocked up i remember after doing it thinking it felt like it was pulling a bit

ABS - mechanic said same as u, get it off and make sure all pistons are free, then do a brake fluid change. (might take it too a garage as i cocked up last time) i got no % failure it just says excessive inbalance front

As there Jakes old brakes im blaming him :D

just as well i got friday off!!

Mine failed the emissions first time, the guy just got me to hold the probe out of the back of the exhaust a little more. :D :D

wish mine had said that,not exactly a massive fail either! but on plus side it not exactly loads work and massive problems, just annoying! although i am gonna pay someone to bleed brakes then test them.

am i right in thinking you failed on emmisions if so they can do a standard cat test witch the limit is like 3.0 which they have to do if they cant find the engine number hard to find if there aint one if you know what i mean.

Also there is supposed to be special precudures for imports running decat etc.

The old man is a ex mot inspector and is back from his hols on Monday will get some more info from him.

Though after a certain point (year there must be a proper cat test done regardless i think its 95)

will look into it more for you

if they test by the book then they will do the whole test again :p . with high lamda,. 90% of the time a good run to get the engine hot does the trick. also if you have a small exhaust leak (from joints) that will also increase lamda readings. want i do when testing cars with big exhaust systems is to stuff a cloth into the tail pipe with the probe :innocent: which normally lowers the oxygen reading in the system bringing lamda down.

as for your brakes the imbalance allowed is 25%. so if its just over. it could be something simple as air in system or even tyre pressures :rtfm: . if its well over the imbalance percentage then you looking at poss slightly seized pistons.

if they test by the book then they will do the whole test again :p . with high lamda,. 90% of the time a good run to get the engine hot does the trick. also if you have a small exhaust leak (from joints) that will also increase lamda readings. want i do when testing cars with big exhaust systems is to stuff a cloth into the tail pipe with the probe :innocent: which normally lowers the oxygen reading in the system bringing lamda down.

as for your brakes the imbalance allowed is 25%. so if its just over. it could be something simple as air in system or even tyre pressures :rtfm: . if its well over the imbalance percentage then you looking at poss slightly seized pistons.

yea i know he meant to do whole lot again so i asked if i come back soon, will he have to do it all again. i siad hows about next sat he said ok then. ( i think its ok as he has to do the paperwork parts again anyway (emissions + brakes)

air sounds likely as i changed the discs and pads myself and never changed fluid and ive had a soft brake pedal after heavy braking a few times. ermmm what DOT is it i need to put in again? if it is a seized piston i been told that as temperory to get it through the MOT a good freeing session when changing the fluid should do. then get them refurbed.

air sounds likely as i changed the discs and pads myself and never changed fluid and ive had a soft brake pedal after heavy braking a few times. ermmm what DOT is it i need to put in again? if it is a seized piston i been told that as temperory to get it through the MOT a good freeing session when changing the fluid should do. then get them refurbed.

Go for DOT5.1 (don't use DOT5). I've still got Brian's brake bleed thingy if you want to borrow it.

ok MOT passed today,

cleaned lamba sensor, cheers Jake and abs

Brakes i got done and i had a seized caliper, it was the long pole thing that was seized (well one of them). im not impressed by way bloke did them as i asked for a full bleed. but i can tell back wheels havent been taken off.

and took brake fluid cap off and the fluid is dirty brown. hmm!

ok MOT passed today,

cleaned lamba sensor, cheers Jake and abs

Brakes i got done and i had a seized caliper, it was the long pole thing that was seized (well one of them). im not impressed by way bloke did them as i asked for a full bleed. but i can tell back wheels havent been taken off.

and took brake fluid cap off and the fluid is dirty brown. hmm!

I should get it changed mate. Where did you take it? Should have gone to Triton, they'll do a brake fluid change for DOT5.1 for about £30 IIRC, and they have an "arrangement" with the MOT test place round the corner - my car miraculously passed despite having no cats if you no what I mean...