The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uneven Boot, Anyone Know To Adjust?

a98pmalcolm

Hey all, ok I have a super squeaky boot and it drive me nuts. Its not the rubbers they have been recently changed.

I noticed the other day 1 side is more shut than the other. I need to lower the drivers side by about 10mm

I have attached pics so you can see the difference to each side before the hatch engages (1st 2 pics) and I have a pic so you can see how open it looks one the hatch locks the boot into place (last 2 pics)

Is there a way to adjust this on the hinge or something? Could It be the gas struts not allowing it to close all the way?

Thanks

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Loosen the 4 nuts under the headliner, adjust the boot to line up all gaps and tighten the bolts down. Thats what the manual said.

Ah ok thanks Evin, do you know if there is a online manual for this? Thanks

I would guess the hinges are shimmed, how does the top of the boot sit with the shut line at the roof? A little movement at the hinge end would make a big difference at the back

I have pics from the sides and top below. Its the S2000 aerial side thats the issue

The shut lines look good on the tailgate but the edge to the right rear wing doesn't line up as it should. If you dont know the history of the car check the weld seam alongside each hinge which could well identify if the rear panel is factory or has been replaced following an accident. I cannot envisage that adjusting the hinge position will alter the pitch that is raising the tailgate on one side relative to the other unless you remove and shim the nearside hinge.

Well when this happened to me it ended up with a broken hinge. Had the very same alignment issue.

I Have a set of hinges sat in the garage - you're welcome to have them, put them on and if it's not the problem send them back. Otherwise, if it cures it, keep them and put £10 in a charity box somewhere.

Well when this happened to me it ended up with a broken hinge. Had the very same alignment issue.

I Have a set of hinges sat in the garage - you're welcome to have them, put them on and if it's not the problem send them back. Otherwise, if it cures it, keep them and put £10 in a charity box somewhere.

Thanks for the reply buddy, PM'ed

• 2 years later...
Hey man sorry to bring back a old thread have you fixed this issue im having the same issue?

I had this issue, I loosened the bolts on the hinges under the lining, undone the struts and gave it a jiggle

not 100% perfect but a lot better what it was, I had my boot off when it got painted

Careful though that boot is heavy !