The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Voltage drop with srd fans

berg

Installed a pair of SRD twin fans a few weeks ago

Having a few issues with voltage drop every time the fans come on

Can see in this video below how the voltage drops every time i trigger the fan relays

Everything is wired correctly and other than the voltage dropping it all works fine

The battery is in the boot, the battery cable goes to a circuit breaker, then distribution block, then to the starter motor, then another cable from the starter to the alternator (factory alternator wires not used now)

All cabling is heavy 50mm2 cable (equivelent of 0AWG) rated to 345amps and ive also fitted a Mechman 170A alternator and its still the same

Anyone have any ideas?

https://youtu.be/riWl4wqAE_k

Installed a pair of SRD twin fans a few weeks ago

Having a few issues with voltage drop every time the fans come on

Can see in this video below how the voltage drops every time i trigger the fan relays

Everything is wired correctly and other than the voltage dropping it all works fine

The battery is in the boot, the battery cable goes to a circuit breaker, then distribution block, then to the starter motor, then another cable from the starter to the alternator (factory alternator wires not used now)

All cabling is heavy 50mm2 cable (equivelent of 0AWG) rated to 345amps and ive also fitted a Mechman 170A alternator and its still the same

Anyone have any ideas?

https://youtu.be/riWl4wqAE_k[/url]

Dude, Check the earth's returns to the battery.

Carry out a vollt drop test and that should locate the point where you are loosing the current due to the higher electrical resistance.

I know they will effect voltage a bit thats normal, just wasnt sure how much by, be good if other members with these could check the video and see if theirs do anything similar

To be fair most aftermarket fans are junk yer, but these srd fans are tried and tested and easily keep the temps exactly where they should be, absolutely no issues with thier cooling abilities

Erm, what's actually the issue mate? Voltage drops as they activate and then normalises? If so I'm confused as to what the problem is.

/QUOTE]

Not nessesarily an issue, Basically im asking if its normal lol, its a 2v drop and is effecting idle thats all

If its normal then thats fine

If this is all at idle then alternator armatures are not putting out their max rated output at idle. Meaning that it may only be putting out say half of its rated output at idle rather than the full amount. Have you done this test with the engine at say 5k rpm?

Absolutely normal, most fans will draw around 30-40 amps on start up, i would be more worried if it didn't, once running its fine its just the initial load, if they are drawing say 30 amps each then that's 1/2 to 2/3 of the battery's capacity, have you ever looked at a volt meter when you start the car?

the alternator will take more time to catch up with the load, therefor you wont see it.

Guest Budz86

Perfectly normal mate, my twin fans do this and I have the same kit and setup as you. As Ricky said, initial draw is high but stabilises quickly. Have you got them staged? I've done that on mine so normally only runs one fan. Second doesn't kick in till 98c I think

As above dude, just initial drain of power. I have a 300amp alternator that puts out 150amp at idle and 300amp on full pelt (used to use it when i was into sub woofer builds and the like) same used to happen when volume was increased to a higher than normal level, car's idle was affected. Always had to rev the engine if i was going to turn it up. Still got the little beast laying around here somehwere ;)