The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT time maintenance

rider

I had the garage replace the dust shields and bearings on both front wheels seeing they were original ones on the car. Turns out the original, 21 year old, bearings had a fair amount of corrosion inside. Car is much quieter on the open road now with the new bearings. Going to have the back two changed next year, figuring all four on new bearings will either see the car through my lifetime of my life with the car. Also had new tailgate struts fitted as the old, again original ones would drop the tailgate at the slightest hint of wind.

Car sailed through the MOT as expected. Mechanic did say the bearings were a pig, bitch, pain to swap out so glad I didn't decide to tackle that job myself.

PS - Jake gave me an old set of struts to send off the SGS Engineering for refurb. So, if anyone else needs to replace theirs and wants a set ready to fit before removing their own let me know and they can have my old ones sent to them or direct to SGS. Only proviso being they then make their old ones available to others at no cost (except postage).

Did you use OE or aftermarket wheel bearings? Might be worth doing all 4 of mine actually..

I elected to go for SNR bearings. Not the most expensive but they have a very good reputation and not the cheapest either. Euro car parts sell them at a competitive price. The front kit part number is R169.52.