The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering Racks - How are people fixing them?

neilp9876

My steering rack is leaking and i have been told i have these options...

1. Buy a new one from Toyota - £1800

2. Buy a secondhand one - but most (all) secondhand units will also leak

3. Refurbish it (£144) using Kiley Clinton or similar - No guarantee that the refurbish will fix the leak or not create other issues

4. Swap it for a manual rack?

5. Use a rack out of an SC300? - probably no better as they are the same age.

I'm curious as to what others are doing as the options seem pretty restrictive.

I had strong connections with two steering rack re-conditioners in the past, all I will say is beware. One used to even answer the phone in a very quiet voice with"Hi, Real Con Racks here" when he was feeling mischievous...... ;) Go on, I'll cite one example. Steering rods, rack ends, people call them various things, but the rod the track rod end screws on to that disappears inside the rack bellows. inside the bellows the rod has a ball joint inside a hex casing. These wear and the rod assembly should be replaced. They put the ball joint in a fly press and crushed the casing a bit to take out all play. The fact the thing was deformed and bereft of internal grease after 20 years was by the by. A bead blasting and a painting had them looking sort of like new. On the car they lasted a few hundred miles before the now deformed and minimal bearing surfaces wore again and they were worse than before. But by then they were out of warranty. I could go on. Beware, only buy if from a known reputable source, re conning a rack properly is costly and time consuming.

On a similar topic, has anyone converted their Supra to speed sensitive electric power steering? I've been thinking about doing this when I swap the engine.

I recall someone doing it and mentioned it kills the 'steering feel' The steering feels odd.

Well I could refurb them, but I would have to price up the bits to see if it was viable at a sensible price. It sure as hell would be a LOT more than £144. A lot LOT more. If they get shrapnel through them from a knackered PAS pump they are probably not economically repairable as the housings will be scored.

Well I could refurb them, but I would have to price up the bits to see if it was viable at a sensible price. It sure as hell would be a LOT more than £144. A lot LOT more. If they get shrapnel through them from a knackered PAS pump they are probably not economically repairable as the housings will be scored.

You should put an estimate together. Considering the number of these that are likely to need refurbishing it could be a good side business?

Personally, I could stomach quite a high cost for a refurb if it was a proper job, purely because of the high cost of "new".