The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Found my dream car!

Airwolf

Hey folks

Been a member for donkeys, then just when i was about to give up the dream of finally owning a supra a deal came past that was just perfect. managed to find a really clean jap import supra TT Auto. Checked all the usual, oil cap, underside, oil, tyres etc. its got 100k+ miles with a full blitz exhaust system from turbo to back. On start up there was 0 smoke at all (from cold) after 6 mins when the revs sat idle at about 700rpm. decided to give it a few blips. no black smoke whatsoever (which was surprising cause i was expecting a little) but a fair amount of white smoke was present. Not a massive amount but more than what i was expecting.

Is this normal?

Apart from that the car was perfect.

Cheers :)

My favourite TV show alongside knightrider!

he said it had only done 250 miles in past couple years, so i would assume it was mainly condensation. After we took it for a run i didn't notice any major smoke out the back nor did my accomplices in the car behind.

Apart from the smoke only issue was ABS light was on and he hated the traction control being on, he said it made the car quite jumpy when setting off.

ive put deposit down, picking up next week. Any final tests I should do just to be sure? This is one of the cleanest supra's ive seen so im being really pernickety. I'm just trying to be careful cause it's most of my savings gone.

Edit: no smell of oil, had a very close eye on exhaust to spot any blue smoke but nothing. just pure white. Not even a hint of black when hitting the limiter stationary.

Download the PDF here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

ABS sensors are expensive to replace and the OEM TC is rather dodgy at the best of times. It would rather kill you than save your life :D

E2A

Should you decide you want to check if you take the alloy elbow off the first turbo and also the pipe that goes to the IC you should be able to see if there is any oil present. When turbo seals fail it is very apparent by the amount of oil around the compressor turbine and in the output tube.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Hard to say without seeing a video, it could be water vapour but very doubtful after that time. Maybe burning anti freeze. Maybe the turbos are on their way out. Was there a smell of oil?

- - - Updated - - -

In Blu-ray buy any chance?

No it's on forces TV at the moment.

Was on every night (mon to fri) ended after season 2,

Now it's being re shown twice a week.

I'm then hoping they will show season 3.

Maybe season 4 but that was a crap season.

If not I'll be buying it on DVD.

White smoke from.start up could be just condensation. I had the same scare when my car started up I thought something was wrong but just condensation in the exhaust. On a really cold day it's notice Le after 5mins but once running up to normal temp it's okay. I've always let.mine warm up before going out in it. Glad you've. Found a car your happy with :) welcome to the club

No it's on forces TV at the moment.

Was on every night (mon to fri) ended after season 2,

Now it's being re shown twice a week.

I'm then hoping they will show season 3.

Maybe season 4 but that was a crap season.

If not I'll be buying it on DVD.

I missed a load of them but managed to catch a few, the missus wasn't too impressed :D

I still have the boxsets of season 1-3 on DVD (shouldn't be too hard to find), not sure if I ever bothered picking up season 4 for obvious reasons (less than one-third of the original CBS budget, no access to Airwolf and all in-flight shots recycled from earlier seasons). I'll be looking to up pick up the Blu-Ray release at some point. If you want them shoot me a pm with your address and i'll get them in the post to you.

Have you seen any pictures of Jan-Michael Vincent recently, I know he must be in his early 70's now but wow. Going from Big Wednesday and becoming the highest paid of any actor in American television to where he is now is so sad.

Sorry OP, back on topic :)

Cheers Frank, yeah i read through the guide before i went to see it. Very handy!

I mentioned the ABS to the owner and he said he will check it for me and replace if needed.

Hitbox it didn't smoke at all on start up, not even a puff. Only a stead stream of white smoke after 5 mins of idle. The kind of white smoke you see on every car on the road on a frosty morning.

Overall i am mega excited to pick this up, ive been waiting so long to own a supra and i've had 2 sleepless nights just thinking about it lol.

You say nothing at start up (good) then white emission after 6 mins (could be bad).

Did it still produce the white stuff after a time or did it clear up? Any condensation mine produces on start up is long gone after a run. With the weather getting better now I'd pretty much expect invisible exhaust gas once warmed up unless it's a very cold day.

If im really honest, i was so excited after the run in the supra, i forgot to even check the back of the car while it was still running.

I literally got out, looked at the owner and said "im buying it!!"

Not to come across offensive but never ever do that. Never go on your own and never have the final decision. If someone says it's a dog, don't buy it. When you go to view a car for yourself, you will never be thinking straight as you'll always have that excitement which is influencing your decision. That's how the brain works, it fills in the gaps with whatever you want to think. Same goes for buying anything really even houses.

Good thing I had my wife and mechanic friend in the car behind me checking for smoke etc while the supra was on a run. No issues they could see out back

I'm not saying the car is bad at all. I hope it's a good one and that everything is fine. Just when I saw your comment it reminded me how excited I was too! I had my dad with me and always have done with cars just to keep me grounded.

Apart from the smoke only issue was ABS light was on and he hated the traction control being on, he said it made the car quite jumpy when setting off.

Sounds like an ABS sensor has gone to me. Has it got Race Logic Traction Control fitted?

• 2 weeks later...