The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice needed

JackyBoi

To cut a long story short I am selling my Supra. However when I started it today after sitting for 3 months, after it had fully warmed up to temp, the idle went extremely lumpy and sounded like it was misfiring. I could also hear a tapping noise coming from the head (sounded like valve lash) which was never there before. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma - I simply don't have the time or passion to spend yet more money on the car getting these issues repaired, I just want it to go to another owner who can put the time effort and money into it that I once could. So I'm wondering a couple of things:

- Given it's current state (misfiring and valve lash noise) how much is the car worth as it stands?

- Would it be worth breaking the car for parts and selling everything like that? Or is there a chance a buyer might still be interested in it as it stands?

Was about to attach videos through Tapatalk but it won't let me for some reason? Anyone know why?

Obviously I'm extremely gutted that it's come to this but it is what it is. Full spec list:

ENGINE

Stock VVTi short block and head
ARP headstuds
-12AN breathers

Whifbitz oil catch tank 
New TRD engine mounts w/ brackets
New high tension front crank seal
New OEM crank pulley
New OEM cam cover seal
New OEM cam seals
New OEM oil pump
New OEM water pump
New OEM timing belt
HKS SSQV BOV
TRD oil cap
Carbon spark plug cover
Carbon bonnet dampers
Billet rad brackets

TURBOCHARGING & INDUCTION

BL Borg Warner S366 .91 A/R divided T4 turbo with billet wheel & high flow housing

Driftmotion -4AN turbo oil line feed

Powerhouse Racing -10AN turbo oil drain

DEI Fire Wrap 3000 for oil drain

DEI Heat Sheath for oil feed
Heavily modified eBay manifold; braced, rose jointed, re-welded & removed slag
2 x Turbosmart 38mm Ultragates
2 x screamer pipes (heat wrapped)
4" SS down pipe (heat wrapped)
4" polished intake pipe
4" K&N air filter
Whifbitz 4" front mount intercooler with custom piping

FUEL, TUNING & ECU

Syvecs S6GP ECU w/ launch control, traction control, anti-lag
Asnu 850cc injectors
Whifbitz fuel rail + fitting kit
Walbro 450lph fuel pump
Fuelab 535 FPR
Fuel pressure gauge

EXHAUST

4" turbo-back straight pipe custom made from grade 316 stainless steel

4" flexi pipe 
Full decat
Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband

DRIVETRAIN

V161 Getrag 6 speed
Spec Street Clutch Stage 2+
Spec Flywheel 6 speed

Toyota V161 gearbox oil 2L's

SUSPENSION, WHEELS, TYRES & BRAKES

BC Racing adjustable coilovers
19" Work Emotion D9R - 19x10.5 et30 rear, 19x9.5 et38 front
Michelin Pilot Super Sport rear tyres in 295/35/19
Pirelli P-zero front tyres in 255/35/19
UK front calipers, discs and pads

Jspec rear calipers, discs and pads

INTERIOR & ICE

Pioneer Double-Din Headunit
Vibe 6" speakers all-round
AEM AFR gauge
Turbosmart 2 bar boost gauge
Recaro drivers seat
Momo Mod 07 steering wheel
Carbon dash inlay

EXTERIOR

Toyota 040 super white
Stock front bumper
RMM type 2 polyurethane front lip
Blitz (modified) side skirts
OEM rear bumper
Veilside spats (modified)
TRD Half-Carbon spoiler
Window tints
Fog mod

'Turbo' badge

Very hard to price something like this, but I'd say in the region of 14k as is.

Without further investigation and /or rectification of the engine issues, you'll have to expect a massive debt dent in the value of the car. Breaking it might be a better option, but again the engine value is much reduced with the current issues.

Very hard to price something like this, but I'd say in the region of 14k as is.

Without further investigation and /or rectification of the engine issues, you'll have to expect a massive debt dent in the value of the car. Breaking it might be a better option, but again the engine value is much reduced with the current issues.

I'm thinking break it as well. It's the only realistic option, I highly doubt many people will be interested in the car as is. It's just a shame to break it being a 2001 TT6 VVTi from factory, and in white :(

I guess it'll have to be done. Simply don't have the energy for this anymore, it's been a very rocky road but this morning just made me finalise the decision to get rid of it. Too much stress on myself & the bank account. In terms of pricing up any parts I'm not sure about, would it be okay to ask for people's opinions on the value of certain parts? E.g it has a perfect V161, no idea what to ask for that, as with many other parts

You haven't had much luck have you mate, much like me. To be honest you'll want to give up after all this but you will end up losing money at this point. If even a part of you wants to get the car sorted then go to SRD, the car will get fixed and you will still be able to sell it on fully working or at the very least if you break it the engine will be in working order and sell for more. Just an idea. I hope it all works out.

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

If you have a syvecs, why not plug it in and have a look at the errors? Takes 30 seconds and will give you an idea of how easy the problem is to fix. As has been said, selling a car with an unknown fault is just leaving yourself open to lots of low ball offers and will put off the buys who want to just buy and drive

The better money is probably in breaking it but it could take time. Seems to be quite a few V161's coming onto the market this week

Think this will be the route I take, time isn't too much of a concern

Given that you can actually verify the mileage and model year of your gearbox, I should think you could ask £7k for your gearbox *as a complete swap kit*, with a view to getting £6500.

You have a PM sir

You haven't had much luck have you mate, much like me. To be honest you'll want to give up after all this but you will end up losing money at this point. If even a part of you wants to get the car sorted then go to SRD, the car will get fixed and you will still be able to sell it on fully working or at the very least if you break it the engine will be in working order and sell for more. Just an idea. I hope it all works out.

Nope I haven't haha. At this stage mate I've just run out of the motivation to keep throwing all my money into the car, I'd rather get what I can from it, cut my losses and move on. Not ideal but s*** happens!

I'd get it trailored to SRD if they are willing to have a look at it. See what the problem is with the engine and go from there. At least then you'll have an idea if the engine needs work or it's a simple fix.

I'm passed spending more money on it to be honest mate

If you have a syvecs, why not plug it in and have a look at the errors? Takes 30 seconds and will give you an idea of how easy the problem is to fix. As has been said, selling a car with an unknown fault is just leaving yourself open to lots of low ball offers and will put off the buys who want to just buy and drive

/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea to be honest. Might look into this :thumbs:

Guest Budz86

http://www.syvecs.co.uk/support/downloads/

Halfway down the page click 'download latest software'.

Open the SMsg program and plug the syvecs ether net cable into the laptop. Turn ignition on so it primes the fuel pumps. Software should auto connect but if it doesn't click device, connect. Top right of the program window should say connected.

Once it's connected click device, errors and read what you have. Will be flashing if any current codes stored.

http://www.syvecs.co.uk/support/downloads/

Halfway down the page click 'download latest software'.

Open the SMsg program and plug the syvecs ether net cable into the laptop. Turn ignition on so it primes the fuel pumps. Software should auto connect but if it doesn't click device, connect. Top right of the program window should say connected.

Once it's connected click device, errors and read what you have. Will be flashing if any current codes stored.

/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot mate, I'll give it a go next week and see what it shows up. My guess is it's ignition related but really is just a guess

If You decide to break it for parts please let me know how much for coilovers

I think the coilovers will go with the shell buddy, along with the rest of the suspension parts