The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Wax and Detailer

Sheefa

Evening all

So after a good evening session my car is nice and clean (Carlack shampoo and nanotech treatment) and I've just had a 2 hour clay bar session (Meguiars) and overall great results.

BUT, given I use the car a maximum of 1000 miles per year I'm looking for some new premium options that are way above standard off your shelf stuff.

My car is garaged and never sees rain intentionally. I'm looking for the best clay bar going and a premium detailer too please. I want something that will truly last and looks stunning.

Maximum budget for clay bar and detailer is £500.

What you recommend?

Thanks

Gregimage

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Adam littler would be the guy to speak to.

That's come up lovely in the picture mate. Silver looks grear great when it's clean!

Thanks mate. To be fair after NEC Classic Car show she's has only done about 100 miles! 😂 I'll drop Adam a PM but he's too busy buying M5's, GT3s and RS6s now for my little bar of wax [emoji6]

my cars been sat in my garage for six months , but i waxed it before i took it off the road , dodo supernatural . so when i re tax it , itll be a quick dust off probably a QD and away to go . looking at your pic , it looks in excellent condition , so it wont need much to keep it like that especially as you dont use it a lot , same as mine , so dont go spending out to much on something your only going to use a small amount of

top end waxes , so many and can be expensive , are they as good ? the argument rages on greg , been like that for years , bit like willy waving.

i do some dealer work for audi , and preped a Q7 last year , done a full williams F1 ceramic coat to this , the owner from london hated it . when he changed it this year for another Q7 he asked me to go back to dodo which i did . so just to give you an idea , marketing for these new products is strong and look good .

aaaaaaaa mate i had a customer of mine , his kids got it for his birthday , i done a bit of research on line in regards to applying this stuff , and unless you have a good dry place to keep the car overnight , cureing time once applied its impossible to do . so i declined the job as i didnt want to mess it up .some of these new coatings can be fiddly to apply properly

as i said to greg im mobile so this new stuff is not on my radar .

aaaaaaaa mate i had a customer of mine , his kids got it for his birthday , i done a bit of research on line in regards to applying this stuff , and unless you have a good dry place to keep the car overnight , cureing time once applied its impossible to do . so i declined the job as i didnt want to mess it up .some of these new coatings can be fiddly to apply properly

as i said to greg im mobile so this new stuff is not on my radar .

Would you say it is over priced or is it actually worth the sort of money it sells it for? Looking at some of the detailers who offer it in their range you are looking at some serious £££'s. It's hard to know if the final results justify the cost. The ISM can apparently give up to 36+ months durability. It all seems a bit far fetched to me.

My Supra is also 199 silver and is only used in the dry for 1500 miles max each year.

I give it a coat or two of Victoria Concours wax once a year which produces everything from a dark silver look (almost like quicksilver) to a bright glowing silver depending on the light. I use Dodo Juice Red Mist occasionally after washing which adds to this effect. Never bothered with any semi-permanent coatings as it looks so good as it is and with dry use only it's not really needed.

I have always used the Meguiars ultimate range. Its not super expensive but it does do a very good job. Recently though i did fancy a nice hard wax and bought a tub of swissvax best of show.

It was £65 and its tiny but the results were amazing. It is a show wax though and so doesnt last long but that probably wouldnt matter if the car isnt being used frequently.

Swissvax have quite a large range of waxes ranging from £40 up and over £500.

I have no experience with the super expensive stuff though

most product makers will exaggerate the durability , it will sell the product , just be a bit sceptical over the claims . normal hand wax 3 months tops and if you wash weekly less than that , and as said the expensive stuff even less .

cant really comment on the kamikasi mate , i didnt do the job back last year , and as these are reletively new its only time that will tell if they are worth the money .

Adam littler would be the guy to speak to.

That's come up lovely in the picture mate. Silver looks grear great when it's clean!

Thanks mate. To be fair after NEC Classic Car show she's has only done about 100 miles!  I'll drop Adam a PM but he's too busy buying M5's, GT3s and RS6s now for my little bar of wax [emoji6]

/QUOTE]

:D

Car is looking well Greg!

From my perspective it's the following (Peter has covered it too) that needs to be answered Greg, happy to advise where I can :)

- Wash - will come back to this

- Decontamination - this is tar remover, fallout/iron remover and then clay bar for any remaining contaminates

- Correction - what level do you want the paint at as this will determine whether you require a full wet sand process, compounding, polishing or refining (different detailers do call it various stages), this then includes a residue removing phase to ensure no polishing oils are left

- Protection - do you want a semi-perminant coating or would you like to apply a sealant and/or wax every so often?

- Maintenance - this stage after all the above it what really effects the longevity of any level of correction or protection, most scratches/marring are incurred through improper washing and then drying, once all of the above is done you want to keep it that way :thumbs:

I'll happily PM you what I use in various scenarios in detail so just let me know, but to summarise it is as below:

- Daily drivers - full correction including wet sand, complete exterior paint protection film (PPF) on top of this I have the CarPro Cquartz coating which makes washing a breeze (I have Kamikaze stance rim coat on the wheels, Kamikaze Intenso on the windows and CarPro DLUX on the trim)

- Special cars - again full wet sanding and paint correction, followed by Ammo Reflex (base layer), Ammo Skin (sealant) and Ammo Creme (wax) (which isn't too expensive for what kind of products they are it's just a pain to get them from the US).

Edited by Littler (see edit history)