The mkiv Supra Owners Club

are the 'cheap' double din stereos any good?

muckyman

Hi all,

while I'm waiting for my Supra to arrive from Japan, i've been looking around for potential stereos to replace the double stacked single din units in the car (one is a TV receiver with fold out screen and I don't believe it'll work in the UK, plus it looks rubbish)

So, I've been trawling Amazon and noticed quite a few double din head units with touchscreen displays for under £150. All are 'brands' I've never heard of.

Has anyone any experience with these? Any recommendations? Any photos of them fitted in a Supra? (I really want a flush fit rather than some I have seen that stick out)

thanks in advance

Michael

Guest touringteg

Mine came with a generic double DIN touch screen the previous owner purchased off Amazon. It fits and looks ok but the interface is awful and it is very slow to start up.

Do yourself a favour and get a Pioneer.

A friend of mine took a punt and went for one of the cheap Chinese head units, though this was to use in his 7th Gen Honda Civic. Works flawlessly with subwoofer and camera along with all connections etc which he has now moved into his Scooby which is again working flawlessly.

I went ahead and bought the same model for my 8th Gen Civic (daily) and it has been impressive to say the least. Been going strong and fast for a good year now at least. Cost about £190 and seems quite popular. I'll try to find the make and model so you can have a look for yourself. Unsure as to what fitment will be like in Supra however as it was a bit of a squeeze in all 3 of these vehicles.

I am genuinely considering getting the exact same unit again for the Supra as I still have the Japanese Pioneer unit in there which apparently has no language settings other than Japanese and all I can do is listen to Busted and Avril Lavigne on it non stop along with a few random Japanese songs lol.