The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy...

Nathanj1142

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the car scene, and i've always loved the mk4 supras ever since i can remember. Unfortunately, I'm a novice when working with cars and its something I'm really looking to get into. I've been searching the internet looking at insurance quotes and pricing of cars next year, and forgive me for my ambitions but I'm only 18 and would like a NA Manual next year with 2yr no claims (I got quoted about £2000 for the year). Without rinsing me, I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction with actually looking for a car and the faults that may come with them.

I'm on a pretty sustainable wage, so the funding of the 'project' will be via myself.

Cheers guys.

With an NA manual, then I'd focus completely on the bodywork, under body condition and interior. ie everything you can see so not as difficult as you might have thought? but you need to see a few to gauge what is good, bad, average. Then on driving feel/noises, again ideally you could have tried a few, but realistically this will be difficult with your age?

Their aren't many mechanical gotcha's with the NA's except the manual gearboxes are now become rare and expensive so check that is fine (it should be unless drifted or previously had a TT engine fitted). NA specific used parts are currently still relatively available and for reasonable money. I say there aren't many issues but the cars are getting old now and so worst case scenario you could have the following worn and about to go.

Crank Pulley

Cam cover seals (oil leak)

Clutch cylinders

Seized brake callipers

Original Shocks leaking

Manifold cracked

Distributor oil leak

Rad rotted out at the bottom

Aircon condenser shot/holed

Heater Matrix output poor (watch this particularly if buying in the summer!)

Alternator

Suspension arms worn (some of these are over £300 for one piece)

You'll obviously not need all of these, but these are possible items even on an Ok car simply through age/mileage.

Search this forum for phrase like "Heater matrix" and the others I've mentioned and you will find the worst stories, generally the cars are tough but poor servicing at points can hit you now they are getting old.