The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guide to tyre stencil application

HarleyFDMD

Thought i would write out a slightly more in depth guide as to how i achieve the tyre writing on the sidewall of my tyres as i have done this afew times now and get asked alot how i do it and what i use.

Most people think they are stickers but they aren't.

So this is a step by step break down of what i do:

So obviously you need to decide which stencils you want to use. These are one time use only stencils and you get 4 in a pack. As you will see in these pictures i used 30mm speedhunter stencils that i bought directly from the speedhunter webpage and also a set of 30mm Yokohama stencils that i got from ebay.. both sets suit 18" tyres and both retail at around £24

Position where you want them in relation to one another (this doesnt really matter if your only using one stencil per tyre)

Then for possibly the slightly controversial part.. i 'sand' my sidewall smooth. Only where i am applying the stencils and only very very lightly. Just enough to dust off the texture and pronounced writing. You dont want to apply any pressure and certainly dont want to go digging deep!

I used an air tool that would typically be used to sand the area of a tyre where you would then apply a puncture repair patch so effectively its the perfect tool for the job.

Note you can skip this part and apply/spray the stencils against untouched sidewalls but the edges wont be as crisp.

You then want to thoroughly clean the sidewall to rid it of any grease or tyre shine. I used a scrubbing pad and brake cleaner.

Apply the stencils and remove the top film

Mask the area around the stencils carefully making sure to cover everything!

Then spray away with your choice of colour! The speedhunter website recommends using primer.

I have used halfords white primer aerosol for the majority and to do the Yokohama logo i used halfords red primer aerosol.

Once dry remove the masking and carefully remove the stencils

Tah dah!

Next.. mask everything up again!

At this stage i then mask up the wheels again leaving the sidewalls bare,

I then spray a couple of fine coats of lacquer over the stencils just to help seal them abit.

Then finish result...

Now dont expect these to last the life of the tyre. It is a fair amount of work for something that is pretty short lived.

The paint will eventually start to wear off/crack, but if done well it will last afew months.

It is also worth mentioning you cannot do this with the tyre off the rim... well, you can, but expect all the paint to crack as you refit the tyres.