The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi from another Souh African

Guest Scoobster11

Guest Scoobster11

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum and as you can see from South Africa.

I haven't bought a Supra yet but I am actively looking. Prices here seem to vary quite a bit with most cars being N/A with an auto which are either ex Botswana or Mozambique cars.

I have one in mind which is super clean but the car had a Twin turbo motor fitted afterwards and the owner kept the auto box in. The car is almost immaculate inside and out with no signs of rust or accident damage.

I was looking for one that is SA registered already because i have heard rumours that for some reason we cannot register the Supra in SA anymore.

The car is "expensive" (GBP 22000 or $27000) for what it is when you compare it to the cheaper cars but ticks some of the boxes.

I'm not in a rush to buy but i don't think a 2JZ twin turbo with 6mt is going to pop up in my price range and I am wondering if its worth doing the conversion to manual or if it is worth buying at all.

He hasn't gone crazy on modifications except for what was needed to be done to get the car running with the swopped out motor.

The car is not going to be modified further but i do want something that is reliable for the occasional long distance road trip or car shows because of how rare these cars are.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The cost of converting an auto to a manual would outweigh the difference of buying a 6 speed in the first place. At least another 6 speed conversion would. I'd take the auto if i were you. I used to be put off buying an auto so I decided to save for a manual but then the prices doubled. Wish I'd have just bought an auto a few years ago.

Edited by Karl M N (see edit history)

Guest Scoobster11

Thank you guys for the info. I thought the conversion would work out very expensive. I will keep looking at the cheaper ones in SA and see what pops up. Zaheer0027 - do you have contacts on local SA cars for sale?

Guest Scoobster11

Thanks for the info.

What would I need to get from the owner selling any imported car that is "SA registered" besides the blue and yellow forms, I.D. copy and original registration document. I wouldn't want to hand over cash and then find I don't have ALL the required paperwork to transfer it back onto my name.

Thanks for the info.

What would I need to get from the owner selling any imported car that is "SA registered" besides the blue and yellow forms, I.D. copy and original registration document. I wouldn't want to hand over cash and then find I don't have ALL the required paperwork to transfer it back onto my name.

The import permit, SAD500 (SARS clearance) & LOA (from NRCS). The LOA will be retained by the licencing office, so a copy should be fine. These are required to get a valid registration doc. Of course, in our country you know that there are ways around this to get a registration doc. Issue is if SARS catches up with you they can seize the car, you lose your cash.

Guest Scoobster11

Thanks for the info.

If you happen to know of one that is for sale and everything in order please let me know.

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...