The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA Supra on throttle bodies?

Guest Dan Goodyer

Guest Dan Goodyer

Hi all,

I currently own an early JDM 180SX.

It's the 1.8 litre version, and whilst I think it's the best thing since sliced granary, the sight (and sound) of a MkIV has always got me a little moist in the pant area...

Anyway, I just wondered has anyone ever fiddled with an NA seriously? I'm thinking in terms of a high compression NA lump on bike throttle bodies. Anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be worth it?

Surely the sound alone would be :eek:

I emailed the guy and got this response:

====================================

Peter,

nice to hear from you.

The engine has been in the car for about 2 years. I used the 48mm throttle bodies, a set of mandrel bend extractors and a Motec M800 ECU - I didn't open the engine at all. Power went from 120 rwkW to 148 rwkW just with the throttle bodies (chassis dyno figures). Peak power also occurred 1000 rpm further up the rev range than the stock motor (6600 vs 5500 rpm). The best thing was the marked increase in mid range response. I left the motor standard just to iron out all the little bugs with the conversion. As it turned out, the car was so pleasant to drive in this state, I delayed proceeding with the big buildup.

At present I am in the middle of a big build up - forged pistons (12:1 comp), ported head, big cams (304 degree duration, 11mm lift), lightened crank. I'm expecting over 300 hp at the flywheel.

The car is a 1976 Corona Mk2 and I mainly use it in club sprints. It's a whole 300 kg lighter than a Mk4 Supra and has surprised a good many folk as I blast past their turbocharged chariots! The only time I took it to the drags it did a 13.8 @ 100 mph.

I have some more pics on my hard drive -can resize them and shoot them to you if you wish.

Cheers Dave.

====================================