The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which supra ?

Guest Adsupra91

Guest Adsupra91

Hi I'm currently looking at buying a Supra however I'm torn Between buying a na manual and going n/at or to buy a automatic TT supra and try and find a getrag manual box for it so i can convert from auto to manual

From what i have seen Auto tt seem go cheaper than the manual by quite a lot a decent manual is 20k plus now but I've seen autos between. 12-15 k which more my budget

Any recommendations on what route i should go down as I'm not too keen on a automatic

Thanks

Adam

Guest Adsupra91
Price of second hand Getrag conversions seem to be going up too. Most NA manuals will be W58 also. What is your ultimate goal power wise?

Well it's not going to be my daily as it's literally going to be a toy , so I'd want good power but with decent drivability maybe 500bhp or there abouts

I could just wait and save a bit more for a manual TT it's just the itch to get one is bugging me always be my dream car for as long as i can remember , i know if be a lot happier with a TT rather than a n\a I'll have to try a auto and see how it feels , i drove my friends n\a auto it felt good i still loved it however i knew I'd prefer a manual

Yeah I would try getting a ride/test drive in a TT Auto first, although personally manual, I have only heard good things about TT Autobox. R154 is another option if you wanted to go manual down the line, cheaper than the V160/V161 boxes and fine for your 500hp power goal.

Guest Adsupra91
Yeah I would try getting a ride/test drive in a TT Auto first, although personally manual, I have only heard good things about TT Autobox. R154 is another option if you wanted to go manual down the line, cheaper than the V160/V161 boxes and fine for your 500hp power goal.

Ok thanks for the advice , i feel that it would be better to buy a TT auto then maybe a conversion to manual in the future , i need to take my time and make sure i get a decent example ideally a nice lowish miles with good history would be what I'm after however i know if serviced correctly the engines will run a long time , how much can a auto box take power wise ?

Guest Adsupra91

The problem i find with auto boxes is it lacks some driver involvement however in the real world where your driving like you would everyday when not putting your foot down it dosent really matter it's when you have a spirited drive and start pushing the car when you notice it , although I've never had a go in a TT auto i have drove a n\a auto when i was just driving normally it was fine

It's just when you put your foot down is where it makes the most difference in feel imo I'd always prefer a manual but I'm sure i could get used to a auto

The auto box just makes the car feel sluggish, you put your foot down and nothing happens. It might be more to do with the sequential turbochargers and the auto box combined, the NA auto might be better as the power curve is smoother. Also if he is thinking about running 500hp the auto box would be beyond its limit would it not? I thought the auto was only good for BPU power, beyond that there is just too much heat being generated and it boils the gearbox fluid.

The auto box just makes the car feel sluggish, you put your foot down and nothing happens. It might be more to do with the sequential turbochargers and the auto box combined, the NA auto might be better as the power curve is smoother. Also if he is thinking about running 500hp the auto box would be beyond its limit would it not? I thought the auto was only good for BPU power, beyond that there is just too much heat being generated and it boils the gearbox fluid.

Obviously you have not seen what can be done with an auto. I ran 600hp on a stock box and it was fine it is the torque and heat that will eventually kill the box. Mine now has an SRD stage 3 built box with flappy paddle change running 700hp and 600ftlb of torque and I would definitely not call it sluggish rather it's the opposite

The problem i find with auto boxes is it lacks some driver involvement

it's when you have a spirited drive and start pushing the car when you notice it

This gets wheeled out every time an auto/manual debate starts. How many modern performance cars have gearsticks? Hardly any. Don't think a Ferrari/GTR lack driver involvement and theres no lever to move in those cars.

You could maybe get a low end 6 speed for 15k now but it would need work. Also Id try and have a drive in a 6 speed car, the box isn't the best

I seem to remember somebody doesn't go faster than 70 because it feels unstable. Maybe its your auto box.

I planted my foot down today, auto instantly dropped a cog and flew. Think​ it's a great box.

Maybe I should re-phrase then. With stock power the auto is bad, if i had 500/600hp then it would be different.

Guest Adsupra91
This gets wheeled out every time an auto/manual debate starts. How many modern performance cars have gearsticks? Hardly any. Don't think a Ferrari/GTR lack driver involvement and theres no lever to move in those cars.

You could maybe get a low end 6 speed for 15k now but it would need work. Also Id try and have a drive in a 6 speed car, the box isn't the best

Thats actually a very fair point i didn't think of it like that even most modern hot hatches have dsg now and there awesome fun to drive , how come you don't think the 6 speed box isn't the best? I've heard otherwise saying what a great box it is?

Yeah i think I'll just add a bit to my budget is rather spend out on a decent supra than a dog

From personal experience not just what I've read on the forum, the auto box is great for everyday driving. Responsive and smooth box.

We have a stock Uk TT Auto, BPU TT Auto and Single PT6266 VVTI 6 speed. By no means is the auto box a bad choice compared to the 6 speed.

Sure, the 6 speed box is more involved driving and a great strong gearbox but on a daily basis I'd jump in the TT auto all day long.

On the TT BPU auto, I'm running the HKS EVC6 IR which is set-up specifically for the sequential set-up. The car flys, for around town driving wins every time in my eyes.

On a country road or track day the 6 speed would be the choice no doubt. If it's just going to be a weekend toy for a blast then yes the 6 speed is what I'd choose, but don't rubbish the autobox as it is far from being a bad choice.

how come you don't think the 6 speed box isn't the best? I've heard otherwise saying what a great box it is?

It is very good at holding large amounts of torque, but that is the only exceptional quality of the getrag. The gearshift is clunky, and decidedly average.

When you're on an open road they drive fine, and the 6 speed is more fun on tighter roads without a doubt, but in traffic, especially crawling traffic, they are a pain in the ass , especially if fitted with a heavier clutch. The auto on the other hand can be driven on the brake in crawling traffic, making it very easy to use.

Personally if it is going to be a summer weekends only car, I'd choose a manual. If the car is going to be used for any sort of commuting or daily use then go auto. Either way you'll end up with a great car. :)

Over everything else though, but the best car you can afford, regardless of gearbox. A rough manual can give new meaning to the term money pit, so if it's a choice between a bottom of the market manual and a decent auto, go auto.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Thats actually a very fair point i didn't think of it like that even most modern hot hatches have dsg now and there awesome fun to drive , how come you don't think the 6 speed box isn't the best? I've heard otherwise saying what a great box it is?

Yeah i think I'll just add a bit to my budget is rather spend out on a decent supra than a dog

Thats my point, I have absolutely no idea how people equate driver involvement to pushing a pedal and moving a stick. Don't get me wrong I like manual cars, but in my opinion the Supra is a big GT cruiser and suits the auto best. And it is a very good auto. You just have to search back through the forum for auto vs manual debates, number 1 choice to hate the auto is this perception of driver involvement.

As stated, its very strong but agricultural. When I drove one I seriously thought it was broken. Also they're getting long in the tooth and repair costs, if you can get the bits, are eye watering.

Love my auto! Can't wait to flappy paddle it. Also if SRD get their finger out with finishing the development of the lexus 8 speed box I recon all the manual 6 speed owners will dump their 6 speed boxes.

Sorry mate but but six speed owners aren't going to dump their boxes suddenly for an 8 speed auto lol :D

And as has already been discussed the development lies with syvecs not SRD on it.

I can already tell from your post that you want a manual, an auto would be a compromise and you know full well why. There is less driver involvement, you are not in full control. It works very well as a daily driver and cruiser but somehow making comparissons of a 25 year old box ( and it is a good box ) to an ultra modern DSG speeding around B roads just is not fair, they are not even close!

If your aim is to have a small single turbo one day then my advice is to save the extra and simply buy a well specced single turbo in the first place, yes initial outlay is higher but it will cost you alot less in the long run.

ok my two pence. Firstly i've had na auto's, na manuals, tt auto's and tt manuals.

My first one was an NA manual when i was 26, then a TT manual a year later (I was at this point manual biased as my experience of auto's was they were always hunting for shifts, changing up the second you lifted off the throttle etc etc). Then i got an aerotop TT and these only came in auto so i had no choice. Well it was my first ever automatic and it never put me off, just took to it fine.

Fate has meant i'm now left with 2 Auto tt's, i wish i had kept one manual over the years (just for variety!) but i'm not considering selling both auto's to get a manual, that to me (now 43) would be madness. (age mentioned as perhaps I'm just getting old?)

What i'm saying is I get the manual bias and as Hemanhead said if you really think you'll regret then get it right first time. However in the auto you are in full control, you can freeze the gears via manual mode, once moving at any reasonable speed you'll be out of first, so say you are in '2' so locked in 2nd gear in a 30mph limit, 2nd will go over 60mph and shifting into 'D' will then see you well above three figure speeds. Also motorway cruising in 'D' without manual mode has you in overdrive (4th) but with the push of a button on the gear stick you can toggle between 3rd and 4th. So cruising behind someone and they pull into the middle lane, you don't have to stomp the pedal to get kickdown you can just press the button and be right in the power band of 3rd, get past in the blink of an eye and press the button to shift back up to keep cruising. Anyway so as stupid as it sounds you need to only consider what the clutch pedal gives you. So you can clutch dump and wheelspin/drift from a standstill at will, do a low speed 180 degree direction change or car park doughnut etc. You can heel and toe to rev match on shifts and not unsettle the car on the limit, but it's not often that you will be able to practice that on the road.

The main thing i've heard you say and on which I 100% agree is the bit where you are focussed on finding a good one which is getting harder and harder.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)