The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Double Din Stereo Dramas

Fulcrum2000

Hi All

I know this will have been covered to death but I've bought a double din stereo and the aperture is slightly too small on the Supes dash to fit it physically in, but even if I did the stereo (and it seems pretty much all Double Dins) would hit a white box behind the dash which protrudes into the top section. Obviously I can just make the aperture bigger with a file but what does everyone do about the white box which assumedly houses the blower controls or something? Is it move-able? I suppose I could swap the new stereo for a single din and a spacer if I have to? Is there any current double dins with dvd etc built in that just go straight in? Mine is a NaviskAuto which was a bargain and had great reviews. Any help would be really appreciated. I've just had a quote to fit it locally of £215, wow! Is it just me or does that price seem like getting F'd in the A?

Yer the price was a bit dramatic. Trouble is Halfords dont sell any stereos with DVD or I would, they charge £60 for fitting on a Supe So I had to buy the head elsewhere. Any ideas on this white box thing and how to move it? Mines a JDM TT if that makes a difference, not sure why it would

Yer the price was a bit dramatic. Trouble is Halfords dont sell any stereos with DVD or I would, they charge £60 for fitting on a Supe So I had to buy the head elsewhere. Any ideas on this white box thing and how to move it? Mines a JDM TT if that makes a difference, not sure why it would

Can't remember seeing anything behind mine when last in. They sell some pioneer double DIN DVD ones, but ain't cheap. It's what I'm looking at. AVH-X8700

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&categoryId=318420&langId=-1&productId=1125560&storeId=10001

Yer I saw this, you can get a comparable system with rear camera and loads more for about £200 elsewhere though, not Pioneer but a high review bit of kit. I also avoid anything thats even remotely 'Apple' related. There's defo a white box on mine, maybe yours is a UK spec which differs?

I went for this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FD8R0FQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In hindsight you can get a single DIN with a pop out screen which does everything a double din does and would be a heck of a lot easier to fit in the lower mount with a spacer but I wanted a double din flush to the dash as it would look amazing. Any help with this white box would be appreciated Also as a side note, the Supra seems to have 6 speakers, do I need a stereo with x6 output or are any doubled up like the two tiny ones on the dash? I've tried to upload a pic of the white box

whitebox.jpg

It looks like the Supra stereo cage has been removed? I asked the same question and basically you need to use the standard Supra cage and not an aftermarket one, should then fit perfectly. The white box and then the Ariel orange box sit on top of the stock cage

But the white box is still immovable so i guess its screwed in to the car physically somewhere? I didnt want to have the whole dash removed just to fit a stereo but its this the best way forward? Also Does anyone know where a Supra Stereo cage can be bought, I've been looking for a while and am more liely it seems to find a herd of wild unicorns eating pixie grass than one of these for sale. Even ebay has let me down for once. If anyone has a spare one (bearing in mind its a JDM, not sur eif this makes a difference) I'd happily buy it. Also do stereos for SUpras need 6 speaker output, as Supras have six speakers of course, or are people ignoring the 2 smaller ones on the dash or maybe the wiring splits to both at the front?