The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag Radials rim size...

ShawnPreece

Hi just wondering about the fitment for drag radials.... I run a normal wheel on the rear which is 18x12 and use a 315/30/18 tyre but I will also be using an alternative in a road legal drag radial which I have the tyres and they are 325/50/15's but I just need to order the rim's to go with these, would I be looking at a 15x12 rim or because of the design of the radials should I be looking at a lesser width and maybe something like 15x11 or even less?

Thanks

Shawn

15s so you can fit a bigger wall tyre on there. I was looking at drag radial style for.months for future look and would.go with a 15 10.5 running a 275 or 285/50 or 60 what ever will fit under stock cut or rolled arches.

Before that I will probably just run 17s with a bigger wall tyre on the rear as that's the over look I will be going for after winter for next year as I don't intend on going 1000horse power until I have a house in next 3 4 years lol.

I'd. Stick with your 15rim size idea Shawn and get the sizes and offsets sorted so you get the look and performance you want for her and to be able to put the power down.

She's going g to need all the traction she can get with your monster build :)

Micky tompson seem to be what most of the Americans use?

15s so you can fit a bigger wall tyre on there. I was looking at drag radial style for.months for future look and would.go with a 15 10.5 running a 275 or 285/50 or 60 what ever will fit under stock cut or rolled arches.

Before that I will probably just run 17s with a bigger wall tyre on the rear as that's the over look I will be going for after winter for next year as I don't intend on going 1000horse power until I have a house in next 3 4 years lol.

I'd. Stick with your 15rim size idea Shawn and get the sizes and offsets sorted so you get the look and performance you want for her and to be able to put the power down.

Sorry mate just realised my typo on my last post I meant im thinking 15x10 (not 18x10 like I wrote lol), I already have the tyres they are 325/50/15's so just wondering on the width of 15 inch rim that is best suited for radials in this size

I have hoosiers in 325 / 50 / 15 with some supra spec welds by real street. Haven't fitted them yet but apparently its what Jays supra had on it before it got totalled. I wanted to make use of my arches, so maximum rubber.

Ahh nice one what width of rim are you using with those tyres mate? im thinking around the 10j from a quick google but not 100% sure. I can only find size charts for normal tyres which on that width would be 12j but for radials I now it would be different and only guessing on the 10j size from limited info on a google search

I think they are slightly bigger than a 10j but nothing worth talking about. Lee just told me what jay used to have and I went with it. Mickey thompsons only goto 295 I think.

Ahh ok mate cheers for the info :) yeah that's right cos I wanted mickey Thompson's but went for the M&H racemasters in the end just because the Mickey Thompsons only went up to 295 in the road legal style

Ahh ok mate cheers for the info :) yeah that's right cos I wanted mickey Thompson's but went for the M&H racemasters in the end just because the Mickey Thompsons only went up to 295 in the road legal style

Yeah, I phoned a UK based drag racing company and spoke to the guys about a few options (one was what you have), Nitto's and Hoosier. They all used Hoosier and you often see them in the E.T street race series at santa pod with people running times in the 7's which makes it a known quantity. They did however say there wasn't much in it, and the Hoosiers were available and i think a fraction cheaper.

( And they have white wall writing, sold ! :D )

I have a pair of 17" x 9.5J lightweight rims with 275/40/17 M/T drag tyres in the UK ready to be sent £600 delivered to your door. Tyres would be £650 alone with a 4 week wait from the states

They also clear UK brakes as I tested the fitment on my car before I sold it.

You don't need to go up as big as the 295s on drag radials as they have so much more grip that any road tyre anyway and your not risking then rubbing on your arches.

I use a pair of 15 x 8j et25 with MT 275 50 streets and with rolled arches they fit fine. Only problem is trying to replace the tyres. Its seems its pretty difficult buying MTs here and as T2MSW suggests buying from the states is the easiest way, but costly and takes a while.

Yeah, I phoned a UK based drag racing company and spoke to the guys about a few options (one was what you have), Nitto's and Hoosier. They all used Hoosier and you often see them in the E.T street race series at santa pod with people running times in the 7's which makes it a known quantity. They did however say there wasn't much in it, and the Hoosiers were available and i think a fraction cheaper.

( And they have white wall writing, sold ! :D )

Haha definitely can't beat white tyre writing :D

I have a pair of 17" x 9.5J lightweight rims with 275/40/17 M/T drag tyres in the UK ready to be sent £600 delivered to your door. Tyres would be £650 alone with a 4 week wait from the states

They also clear UK brakes as I tested the fitment on my car before I sold it.

You don't need to go up as big as the 295s on drag radials as they have so much more grip that any road tyre anyway and your not risking then rubbing on your arches.

Thanks mate but I already have the tyres, it was the tyres that I was wanting so now just trying to get a rim to suit :rlol: iv decided on the rim I'm going for now though it's just getting them made in the right size so figuring out the best width to go for with those tyres :)

I use a pair of 15 x 8j et25 with MT 275 50 streets and with rolled arches they fit fine. Only problem is trying to replace the tyres. Its seems its pretty difficult buying MTs here and as T2MSW suggests buying from the states is the easiest way, but costly and takes a while.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20160430_13_27_59_Pro_zpsvgl9mgrp.jpg

Thanks mate that's just what I was after so I could gauge a ratio of tyre width to rim width for the radials :)

Where are you ordering your tyres then? I can't say it was exactly 'hard' to order anything.

Thanks mate but I already have the tyres, it was the tyres that I was wanting so now just trying to get a rim to suit :rlol: iv decided on the rim I'm going for now though it's just getting them made in the right size so figuring out the best width to go for with those tyres :)

What rims have you gone for ?

What rims have you gone for ?

CCW classic5's in gloss white (link below), it was the closest design to what I already have to save me buying 6 new rims in total :rlol: I will eventually buy a different set of 6 wheels to have all the same but for now these won't look to bad on the rears just for the occasional use of the drag radials :)

http://www.weldwheels.com/ccwheel/classic/classic-5-2pc/

- - - Updated - - -

Greg (Sheefa) was kind enough to do some photoshopping for me abit back to help me decide :)

Where are you ordering your tyres then? I can't say it was exactly 'hard' to order anything.

QUOTE]

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/resource-centre/tyre-applications/drag-racing

A quick search shows that Trackstuff are listing them for sale here, wasn't the case when I last looked, admittedly that was a while ago.

http://www.trackstuff.co.uk/Mickey%20Thompson%20Street%20Radials.htm

Edited by Shane
Added for accuracy (see edit history)