The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vacuum pump -- oil extraction

Jellybean

Does it do a better job of removing crud in the bottom of the sump than the usual gravity drain method? It must be a small-bore tube it sucks through (if it fits down the dipstick tube).

Depending on sump plug location, I recall that it's pretty low down on the 2JZ sump, you may not get as much of the old oil out with the suction method as you would using the usual method. You can increase the amount of oil you do extract by simply getting the dipstick tube into as low a position as possible by having the car on an incline or something.

I'd nearly be as well off just using the suction method on my own Navara, the sump drain is set so high up that, unless I jack the whole left side of the jeep off the ground, there's probably still half a litre of old oil left in the engine when it stops draining. Stoopid design.

And you should see where Nissan stuck the oil filter on that engine!

Ah yeah, I know. I do warm the oil up prior to draining, but I'd also drain the oil first with the jeep jacked up on one side and then leave it draining like that while I carry on with the rest of the service.

When I use that method the engine then takes exactly 7.5 litres to refill so I can just put that quantity in with no doubts or measuring and I get away with only buying a single 5 litre can of oil every second service.