The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N\A supra to TT conversion

Guest Adsupra91

Guest Adsupra91

In Looking at buying a 5speed manual n\a supra however down the line i might want a TT is it possible to do a engine and gearbox conversion to a TT lump ?

Or would it be better to just buy a TT in the first place ?

Guest Adsupra91
Would it not be cheaper to buy a TT in the first place, unless you're going single? I can't imagine fitting a V160 being cheaper than buying a car with one already fitted, but I might be wrong.

That's what i was thinking however i want a manual​ and the price es have skyrocketed recently , you seem to be able to get a decent manual n\a for around 7-10k at the moment , i just worry I'd get bored of the power , I've driven a n\a auto i found it ok but a little sluggish what's the manual like in comparison?

You can go this route, the main issue is if you tune the tt engine after the swap the NA 5 speed gearbox might give up.

NA's right now are IMO very expensive! So auto tt's seem to be the best value for money but then lots don't want auto, so you are back to TT6's and at £4-7k more than an NA manual they are still probably the best choice if you must have manual, but paying high amounts absolutely does not ensure you get a good car as the dross has been swept up along in the general increase in values. Hard time to buy, very few sellers these days are unaware of the cars 'value' nothing will be cheap and lots will need work on top.

That's what i was thinking however i want a manual​ and the price es have skyrocketed recently , you seem to be able to get a decent manual n\a for around 7-10k at the moment , i just worry I'd get bored of the power , I've driven a n\a auto i found it ok but a little sluggish what's the manual like in comparison?

The manual will seem more urgent low down as you can affect the launch more, it's more playful (especially with a LSD) it's a bit better IMO but ultimately outright pace pretty much identical so boredom could be a factor. It's weighing up your desire for a Supra vs desire for speed/power, we can't tell that from here.

I love supra's but am I paying over £8k for a well used na manual? Not when a 6l monaro is a few k more, or a few year old GT86 similar, but that's just me and in my head na's are still £3k, auto tt's 5k etc so I struggle with current situation!

I love supra's but am I paying over £8k for a well used na manual? Not when a 6l monaro is a few k more, or a few year old GT86 similar, but that's just me and in my head na's are still £3k, auto tt's 5k etc so I struggle with current situation!

I've been thinking the same thing about an IS-F, these are getting very affordable now.