The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I have a leaking head gasket/ intake gasket leak? (video)

k222bye

Hi all.

This was taken on a cold day after the car has been sat for awhile. It was billowing white smoking. Surely this cant be condensation? The car is full BPU and decatted. The smoke gradually reduces after awhile but still lingers. See the link for the exhaust smoke.

I am doing a Hydrocarbon sniff test this friday or Saturday which will be conclusive. And a compression test. Literally crapping my pants. Really really don't want it to be a BHG issue.

Ready for the worst really.

VIDEO:

Edited by k222bye (see edit history)

When you say 'sat for a while' do you mean parked up not running or sat idling?

If not running then I'd note the oil and coolant levels, and take it for a little drive and then see how it is, you can get a lot of condensation build up inside and it probably is that. After the nice drive, let it cool, check levels again and then start up and I bet the 'smoke' will be minimal. Well fingers crossed! :)

It was in storage for about 6 weeks. Battery out. Etc. I will do that mate. I'll keep an eye on the levels. I will update this thread when I get the tests done too.

On a side note do decatted Supras smoke this much? This is my first Supra, before that I was strictly Scoobys. Had an STI for awhile.

It was in storage for about 6 weeks. Battery out. Etc. I will do that mate. I'll keep an eye on the levels. I will update this thread when I get the tests done too.

On a side note do decatted Supras smoke this much? This is my first Supra, before that I was strictly Scoobys. Had an STI for awhile.

No mate, my BPU Supra does not smoke at all ..

Really hope it was just condensation but that much smoke, i doubt it :(

Yea I must admit seems like a lot of smoke, too much for just condensation imo.. mine will do a small amount of smoke when cold on a cold day but doesn't last long and not that much .. what was the temp reading inside the car ? did it decrease when the car warmed up ?

Yea I must admit seems like a lot of smoke, too much for just condensation imo.. mine will do a small amount of smoke when cold on a cold day but doesn't last long and not that much .. what was the temp reading inside the car ? did it decrease when the car warmed up ?

The temp goes to about half way and stays there. It warms up gradually. Takes about 10 minutes. And i agree. It looks a lot like coolant :(

The temp goes to about half way and stays there. It warms up gradually. Takes about 10 minutes. And i agree. It looks a lot like coolant :(

Mine is definitely not like that. Oh dear.

I might aswell start enquiring now :'( how much is it for a head gasket rebuild from whiffbitz? Don't really want to give up on the car. Anyone had one done before?

It would be losing coolant like no tomorrow if it was burning off. What are the levels like?

I'd say just condensation, it can bellow out sometimes.

Levels right now are just below max. I think what i will do is take it for a drive, monitor temps, oil and coolant levels and if there's a change I will let you know. Could it possibly be turbo oil seals? Id rather it be that than gasket. Well... Going to find out soon.

Yes. It was in a ventilated heated garage.

A lot less likely its condensation then, especially the amount you have, it should burn off fairly quickly too

Run the engine till it gets to normal operating temp, it should have gone before then

Yes. It was in a ventilated heated garage.

I am (was!) with Ric, but that storage is I think less likely to give those symptoms, but then again it's probably not heated at night? maybe it drops right off causing loads of condensation?

As Ric said though, if it is coolant getting burnt off you'll notice it quickly in the levels, me I'd be taking it on a long circular run ie use it for a long time but never get far from home/garage/base just in case and periodically checking it over.

You don't need to, it's just what I would do. I think it's better for the car not to be sat idling, but it's not really that, at the end of the day the car will warm up quicker and you'll get heat through everything faster and fully dry everything out quicker. If I came back from a nice drive and the exhaust looked like his I'd know it's not normal, if I wait for 5 mins at idle or 10 mins etc I'd not be totally sure when the condensation should all go by, so may as well drive it?

Well for me it'll get hotter quicker if its stationary, just raise the revs off tickover to

say 2500, won't do it any harm and you can keep an eye on the temp gauge easier if your not

driving, if there is a problem you can knock if off straight away

This is simple condensation lol, you guys are simply scaremongering this guy! If it's cold and damp outside, most Supras will throw this amount of "smoke". All mine was doing this over a years and none of them ever had any problems with headgasket/coolant leaks/oil burning. If it stops once Supra is warm than you have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

As others have said, get it run up to temp so it's nice and hot; that will eliminate condensation. If it's still there, you've got a problem somewhere. Good news is it's not oil smoke, but if it stays that colour and no smell of fuel in it (a strong smell) then chances are it's the HG.

Personally, I'd drive it for 20 mins or so and keep checking the gauges