The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice please on protecting New Suspension Arms/Rods

Sheefa

So, took delivered of my full new rear OEM suspension today! Extremely pleasing on the eye, and eye-watering on the wallet! All new bolts and bushings etc too. Great deal from Paul at TCB.

20170317_151822.jpg

My existing suspension is in good condition as car has been garaged for 18 years+ but wanted to buy all new before all stock runs out.

Now I need to decide what you use to protect it all from rust in future. I'm planning to go down the POR-15 route with a couple of nice metallic dark grey top coats and a few lacquer layers. The car will only be out in the dry and is always garaged in a dry garage with dehumidifier.

What do traders and others who have done similar recommend please?

Powder coating won't work given it'll melt the bushes etc.

Appreciate your advice.

Thank

Greg

So, took delivered of my full new rear OEM suspension today! Extremely pleasing on the eye, and eye-watering on the wallet! All new bolts and bushings etc too. Great deal from Paul at TCB.

[ATTACH]217525[/ATTACH]

My existing suspension is in good condition as car has been garaged for 18 years+ but wanted to buy all new before all stock runs out.

Now I need to decide what you use to protect it all from rust in future. I'm planning to go down the POR-15 route with a couple of nice metallic dark grey top coats and a few lacquer layers. The car will only be out in the dry and is always garaged in a dry garage with dehumidifier.

Appreciate your advice.

Thank

Greg

/QUOTE]

I bet they took ages to unpack as everything was wrapped separately! My front and rear compete setup came from TCB yesterday I only unwrapped a few items to have a quick look. I am just waiting for the original rust free subframe coming in the docks in a few weeks then I am ready for the rear sub frame big build. Then the front subframe & arms etc. too I just hope it gets easier to do the 2nd time round when I do the other supra:)

The only problem is now I want everything new as its so much easier than refurbishing!

Appreciate your advice.

Thank

Greg

/QUOTE]

I've heard Kephos coating is a good protective paint and hard wearing.

You are definitely doing the right thing tho. When I bought all new OEM arms front and rear I wish I done this first before fitting. The Toyota coating is terrible IMO.

Nice. How much was that total mate?

When I replaced all the OEM front, rear arms, drop links and ARB bushes came to just under 3K.

Rear suspension was just under £2k all in without drop links. Will probably bite the bullet on fronts now in April too.

Thanks Rob will look into kephos too. The OEM coating looks durable on the face of it but clearly isn't!

Why coat them at all, they just sit under the car? the bushes will be gone again at some point in the future even if you coat them now and they look pristine then?

Buying all new bits makes total sense, coating to me less so? is it an ocd thing! :)