The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My New Supra - Progress Thread

foggy147

Good morning,

As some of you are aware, I collected my new 1999 NA Supra from Belfast on Tuesday which I am chuffed with. I just wanted to start a thread for any work that I do on the car etc, I think it helps to build some history on the car and also benefits me in keeping track of what has and hasn't been done!

Pic:

First list of jobs:

Engine Oil + Filter change - Titan PRO 5w-40.

Full Coolant Flush - Toyota RED

New Brake Disc and pads all around - Pagid disc & pads

Braided brake lines - Wezmoto

Full brake fluid flush and change

New Air Filter

New boot rubber blocks - Bought the full genuine Toyota kit from Whifbitz

New set of Iridium Platinum Spark Plugs

Also some issues that I need some help in rectifying:

The exhaust is to loud, so I would like to get a bung/silencer put in place to help 'refine' it some more!

I have noticed when the car is put into reverse or drive when setting off in the morning, the cab seems to shake more than I would of expected, could this purely be the exhaust system? Anything else to check for?

When turning right at slow speeds, there is a slight grinding sound that seems to be coming from the passenger side wheel, could this be brake pads/rubbing?

The car currently has 18" Rota GTR's, and has 265/35/18 rears and 235/40/18 fronts, and going over some large bumps I can hear rubbing. What size tyres should these be changed to so it can stop this as I do not want to be rolling the arches.

Basically my main concern is to get the car more refined, it just feels a little bit bumpy/rattly in the cabin and I do not remember my old one being like this (however it was completely standard exhaust, 17" wheels etc).

Any help will be appreciated. If there is anyone fairly local to me (Warrington/Leigh/Wigan) who could even pop down to give it a once over as well that would be great!

Minor issue - The stereo sucks haha, so would like to get a new double din DAB radio with a new antenna.

New steering wheel, one in it has faded so want a fresh looking one.

Edited by foggy147 (see edit history)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your doing a coolant flush i'd be inclined to put a new thermostat in at the same time, also what is the rad cap like, these are prone

to failing.

I'd check wheel bearings as well as brake pads regarding the grinding noise.

What width and offset are the wheels ? if you lower the width or profile you'll make the ride even harsher

If your doing a coolant flush i'd be inclined to put a new thermostat in at the same time, also what is the rad cap like, these are prone

to failing.

I'd check wheel bearings as well as brake pads regarding the grinding noise.

What width and offset are the wheels ? if you lower the width or profile you'll make the ride even harsher

Ok just ordered the Thermostat and new Rad cap. Is the Thermostat fairly easy to change?

Not sure on wheel size, going to get them off this weekend hopefully so will report back with exact size and offset.

If you can get hold of a used whifbitz 2.5" twin box exhaust, they're pretty quiet, not far off stock. I say used as they don't make them now. If you're turboing then a 3-3.5" be ok, but you'll lose back pressure whilst an na.

You could drop profile on front to 35? Not sure that would be enough to stop the rubbing? Unless its the width thats causing it.

The shaking will almost certainly be the engine mounts. Facelifts always go and cause vibration, especially when in drive or reverse and held on the brakes at a stand still. Can also give noise clunk on first setting off.

The mounts have a triangle base that sits on the front subframe, above that should be a few mm of clearance to the main body of the mount, you probably have none! On an na you probably can get to the exhaust side one from above to see/check, passenger side one lurks down near the oil filter housing, might have to remove the passenger side front wheel to see or the engine under tray if it still has one.

The new mounts will make an amazing difference, the vibrations I know are unsettlingly, but it'll feel like the calm refined car it is once done. You may want to consider going for the earlier mounts and brackets but that might be costly these days.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?264080-Facelift-(NA)-drivers-side-engine-mount-replacement&highlight=Engine+mounts

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

The new mounts will make an amazing difference, the vibrations I know are unsettlingly, but it'll feel like the calm refined car it is once done. You may want to consider going for the earlier mounts and brackets but that might be costly these days.

Thanks Scooter! Must admit I came across a few people saying about the mounts on the facelift models, so definitely will just get them changed and be done with! To feel a nice smooth cabin again will be brilliant!

Can you advice the cheapest place to buy them from? Approximately how much would a garage charge to swap them?

There is also the one rear diff mount that can perish/wear, more common for these and perhaps the gearbox mounts? to be past it in manuals IMO as the driver can influence the harshness these see.

Basically the facelift engine mounts are far worse than the prefacelift, design fault or cost cutting you decide! Not sure if the gearbox mounts were ever changed?

Think if I am going to do it I would prefer going for new really. May as well just go for new facelift ones as opposed to used non facelift as i'd hope they would be lasting a fair few years if they are brand new!

What would be the labour charge on a job like this?

Will start with the engine mounts and get the other mounts checked as well.

Can someone link me to the correct ones? Is it a big job to swap them?

Define big! Click my link in post 7 to see the easier (on an na) drivers side. It's not difficult but a little labour intensive although I think Jurgen who will have done plenty quoted quite a quick time (I believe they loosen the gearbox mount andlift the engine to get just the mount out, I don't think they touch the brackets)

Define big! Click my link in post 7 to see the easier (on an na) drivers side. It's not difficult but a little labour intensive although I think Jurgen who will have done plenty quoted quite a quick time (I believe they loosen the gearbox mount andlift the engine to get just the mount out, I don't think they touch the brackets)

Ok I will give AC Speed Tech a ring and see what they price it up as to swap them both out.

Hi, do remember Glenn saying last year that he needed the arches rolled as the tyres were rubbing. I have a few videos of your new sup at meets with different wheels etc. When I get a chance I'll dig them out and send you them.I'll be following your journey as I near bought the car from the guy who owned it before Glenn 7 or 8 years ago but decided on an aero instead. Sometimes I regret it as it's colour is awsome. Best of luck with it m8:cool:

Think if I am going to do it I would prefer going for new really. May as well just go for new facelift ones as opposed to used non facelift as i'd hope they would be lasting a fair few years if they are brand new!

What would be the labour charge on a job like this?

Id go with the pre facelift solid mounts mate, you know the liquid filled ones wont last as long.

USA sells the solid ones - Toyota 12360-46070/ MTC 8519HY

Id go with the pre facelift solid mounts mate, you know the liquid filled ones wont last as long.

USA sells the solid ones - Toyota 12360-46070/ MTC 8519HY

They are a very good price compared to some I have seen (upwards of £200 for 2). What about the brackets to match would you have a part number for them?

They are a very good price compared to some I have seen (upwards of £200 for 2). What about the brackets to match would you have a part number for them?

The brackets are just metal arnt they so if they are different to facelift mounts you could get a set used