The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Discolouration on body panels

Supra-love

This happened to a white gt4 I used to have, mainly on that it was drivers wing that did it.

But the supe has it slightly on the wings but more so on the rear bumper. Looks like a common things,

Is there anything I can do, avoiding spraying for time being as my concentrations are on mechanical items and a strip restore on the shell.

Thanks

This happened to a white gt4 I used to have, mainly on that it was drivers wing that did it.

But the supe has it slightly on the wings but more so on the rear bumper. Looks like a common things,

Is there anything I can do, avoiding spraying for time being as my concentrations are on mechanical items and a strip restore on the shell.

Thanks

Probably a stage 2 paint correction ie clay bar, compounding and a good white polish to bring the depth of the colour back out then a good wax there after

Probably a stage 2 paint correction ie clay bar, compounding and a good white polish to bring the depth of the colour back out then a good wax there after

I've got a machine polisher, with the three stage 3m products and also have a clay bar somewhere.

It's what white polish to use really..

It may not even work, white on toyotas is renound for discolouration. Some say it's because parts were sprayed separately in production.

The discoloration across the car is an oxidation of the top layer of lacquer. It can make a white car look very flat and dull. The rear bumper will most certainly be heavily affected, especially if you have a modified car/exhaust. Its very common to see black vertical streaks of stains on the rear bumper or indeed anywhere on the car.

It will require machine polishing to rectify. Claying will not help the stains but certainly should be done prior to machine polishing. Do not be concerned about a 'white polish' :) It just needs a good quality polish. Start with a least abrasive compound and pad, if you don't achieve the results you desire, step up to another level taking caution as you do.

Give the car a thorough IPA wipedown after to remove any polishing oils and give you a squeaky clean base to apply your chosen wax or sealant which will help to prevent future staining.

Sorted :thumbs:

The discoloration across the car is an oxidation of the top layer of lacquer. It can make a white car look very flat and dull. The rear bumper will most certainly be heavily affected, especially if you have a modified car/exhaust. Its very common to see black vertical streaks of stains on the rear bumper or indeed anywhere on the car.

It will require machine polishing to rectify. Claying will not help the stains but certainly should be done prior to machine polishing. Do not be concerned about a 'white polish' :) It just needs a good quality polish. Start with a least abrasive compound and pad, if you don't achieve the results you desire, step up to another level taking caution as you do.

Give the car a thorough IPA wipedown after to remove any polishing oils and give you a squeaky clean base to apply your chosen wax or sealant which will help to prevent future staining.

Sorted :thumbs:

Cheers really appreciate your reply.

I've got a dual action machine polisher with 3m green, yellow and blue compounds with pad to match, so I'll give it a go this weekend.

Thanks

Just take your time and you should be fine. Not sure if you are a confident machine polisher but if in any doubt just spend some time watching some videos, make sure your pressures are correct (draw a line on the backing plate so you can confirm correct pressures), keep speeds consistent and make sure you work up and down through the speeds to correct defects and to refine. There is no point spending time machine polishing only to be left with holograms all over the car due to rushing the job. Brake panels down into smaller sections, they are all too big to machine polish effectively as one.

Set some good time aside over a couple of days. Don't rush the job, just do each panel the best you can before moving on.

Enjoy :)