The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MY 1A1 Aerotop

supra_jms

• 1 month later...
Also re glass out i was advised not to as the bloke they use had broken a few recently and i personally didn't want to take that risk as would be very expensive on an already expensive bill.

That is pretty poor advice. If the their guy does that to glass either sack him and employ someone proficient at their job or if he is a 3rd party find someone else. Jeez, what is it with people nowadays. That respray must be costing a fair bit, for that sort of money I'd want a glass out respray.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Exact wordings was he wanted to block the other panels and would be a shame not to block the rear quaters too so he decided to re do it.

Also re glass out i was advised not to as the bloke they use had broken a few recently and i personally didn't want to take that risk as would be very expensive on an already expensive bill.

If they broke the glass it wouldn't be you footing the bill, it would be them

Didn't you say somewhere that this was costing around 4K?

Not having the windows taken out is the wrong way to go about it unfortunately to say mate. Mine is currently in for full repaint windows out at the moment and they didn't have no problems getting the windows out.

It's the only way to get a proper job especially around the rear quarter glass, after awhile it will start to flake around the edge. I know from previous experience when I got mine resprayed about 6 years ago, hence why I'm doing it properly this time.

I must admit the few window companies I got a quote from to remove and reinstall all said they don't take liability for the screen breaking.

Most glass removal companies I approached are going down the disclaimer route. I had a real issue finding a company preparing to do it. I got the impression that because the car is old it's hard to get new glass and no one wanted to take the risk.

The paint looks a lot better in the body shop picture than the fist few pics. I can understand your change of mind :)

I took my quarter glass out and really don't see how you could break them, other than with a hammer

For me it was the rear windscreen rather than the side windows.

Don't get me wrong, every respray ive had has been a window out job. I just had the same issues recently with a few body shops.

I think it's the perceived risk they aren't prepared to take rather than the actual risk itself.

For me it was the rear windscreen rather than the side windows.

Don't get me wrong, every respray ive had has been a window out job. I just had the same issues recently with a few body shops.

I think it's the perceived risk they aren't prepared to take rather than the actual risk itself.

The local guy i used had the rear screen out in minutes and had no issues doing it, it was more liable to get broken

storing it while we were sorting the paintwork out.

I took my quarter glass out and really don't see how you could break them, other than with a hammer

I got mine out with a pack of stanleys from the 99p shop. Took about 1/2 hour.

if this spray job is costing 4k its waste of time and money, your essentially having a blow over which should cost arond 1800 max in my books.

2-3.5k would be a glass out job and 4k...well.

If i crossed a body shop with high prices and were not confident in removing glass, thats them on my cross list.

Edited by evinX (see edit history)